Charles Wesley Squires was in born Southampton Township, Long Island, New York on February 5, 1851, and lived there until 1870 when he left for Columbus, Ohio to study architecture. Squires moved to Emporia in 1879, and would eventually design many public and private buildings throughout the Midwest. According to his obituary in the Emporia Gazette, he designed 2,700 building in Kansas throughout his career.
Examples of his commissions include the Dodge City Public Library (NRHP 1979), Eureka’s Greenwood Hotel (NRHP 2006), Emporia’s Anderson Memorial Library (NRHP 1987), and the Lincoln County (KS) Courthouse (NRHP 1976). He also designed scores of private residences for prominent Emporia citizens – houses that were, at the time of his death, “still as sturdy and beautiful as the day they were finished.” In addition to the Cross House, he designed the Keebler-Stone House (NRHP 1992), the Dr. John A. Moore House at Seventh and Union, the Colonel David Taylor House on Garfield Avenue, the Sergeant House on Mechanic Street, and many others. Squires remained in Emporia until his death in 1934. (From Cross House National Register nomination form, April 2011)
Search this database for Charles Squires properties listed in the National Register.
Entry: Squires, Charles
Author: kim gant
Date Created: April 2011
Date Modified: September 2014
The author of this article is solely responsible for its content.