Scott County, Kansas
Scott County was organized on June 29, 1886, by Mrs. M. E. DeBeer; Mrs. Ida Eastman; Charles S. Reed; Marion Cunningham; A. J. Kilpatrick; and Euguene McDaniels. It was named for General Winfield Scott, and contains Scott City.
The Indian battle at "Battle Canyon" and "Squaw Den," in northern Scott County in 1878 was one of the last Indian raids and battles in the state, and the last army officer to be killed by Indians was in this battle.
The First Methodist Church of Scott City was the first church in the county, and was founded on May 7, 1886. The first school district was Scott City, organized April 1, 1886.
The legend of White Woman Creek tells of a white woman captured by Indians near the creek. The woman was then beheaded but never buried. Her apparation continues to wander up and down the creek searching for her head.
- See our Kansas Counties database for statistics in the county.
- Search our Register database for historic sites in the county.
- Search Kansas Memory for historic items from the county.
For more information see the Scott County website. The courthouse in Scott City has the county records for the entire period of the county's history.
Entry: Scott County, Kansas
Author: Kansas Historical Society
Author information: The Kansas Historical Society is a state agency charged with actively safeguarding and sharing the state's history.
Date Created: February 2010
Date Modified: October 2015
The author of this article is solely responsible for its content.