Valentine Diners - Kansas - Abilene
- Business name: Rock Retail Liquor Store
- Street address: 1600 N.W. 3rd Street
- Open or closed: Open
- History: Purchased new in 1949 by Jonah Callahan for use as a liquor store. Son-in-law Reeves Armstrong later owned the store, and added a concrete block addition on the back. Armstrong sold the store to Paul Nicholson and Larry Phelps in the 1960s.
Grady Reynolds was the owner in 1987, followed by Albert Miller. Vern and Kelly Rock are the current owners. A refrigerator was added to the building when Kansas law was changed to allow cold beer to be sold. Building has been remodeled and no longer has the distinctive Valentine look.
- Model / serial number: Liquor Store / 767
Exterior (before remodeling), ca. 1987
Explore the Valentine story:
- Find Valentines in Kansas
- Find Valentines in other states
- How can you tell it's a Valentine?
- History of Valentine diners
- Valentine business chronology
- Arthur Valentine biography
Entry: Valentine Diners - Kansas - Abilene
Author: Kansas Historical Society
Author information: The Kansas Historical Society is a state agency charged with actively safeguarding and sharing the state's history.
Date Created: July 2014
Date Modified: July 2014
The author of this article is solely responsible for its content.