Valentine Diners - Missouri - Columbia
- Business name: Broadway Diner
- Street address: 22 South Fourth Street
- Open or closed: Open
- History: This business has operated in two different Valentine diners. The original Minute Inn opened in 1949 on Providence Road and was owned by Hubert Blakemore. In the late 1950s he sold it to Rex Freemeyer, who replaced the original building in 1960 or 1962. Gordon and Fran Meridith acquired it in 1980 and renamed it Fran's Diner.
Current owner Ed Johnson bought the diner in 1989 and operates it under the name Broadway Diner. It survived a short move to its current location in 2001. The specialty at the Broadway Diner is called "The Stretch"-- a hash brown, chili and egg dish derived from the nickname of a 1970s University of Missouri women's basketball player.
- Model / serial number: Double Deluxe / 2465-2466
Exterior, moving onto site
Explore the Valentine story:
- Find Valentines in Kansas
- Find Valentines in other states
- How can you tell it's a Valentine?
- History of Valentine diners
- Valentine business chronology
- Arthur Valentine biography
Entry: Valentine Diners - Missouri - Columbia
Author: Kansas Historical Society
Author information: The Kansas Historical Society is a state agency charged with actively safeguarding and sharing the state's history.
Date Created: July 2014
Date Modified: July 2014
The author of this article is solely responsible for its content.