A Blast with the Past!
Children's Birthday Parties at the Kansas Museum of History
The Kansas Museum of History is a great place to celebrate! You and your guests will experience fun, unique themes relating to Kansas' rich history. Choose from the following.
Where the Buffalo Roam (ages 6-10)
It's all about that big woolly buffalo known as the Kansas state animal. See the Museum's buffalo exhibit. Learn how bones, horns, hides, and other parts of the buffalo were used hundreds of years ago. Play a historic game. Then choose between a buffalo hunt or setting up your own tipi.
Workin' on the Railroad (ages 4-10)
See the big train in the Museum, then head to the party room where our kid-sized train is set up just for you. Learn about the jobs on the railroad. Dress up and pretend to be the conductor, fire man, brake man, or engineer and take a pretend trip.
Little House on the Prairie (ages 4-10)
A Laura Ingalls Wilder book sets the stage for this old-fashioned party. See a log cabin and covered wagon just like Laura's family would have used. Dress up in pioneer clothes. Then choose between a water yoke activity or making butter.
School Days (ages 6-10)
The Museum's one-room Stach School is the setting for this old-fashioned party. Pretend to be a pupil in the 1920s. Our teacher will ring the school bell. Then she will conduct a "spelling bee" and math on slate boards. NOTE that our school house has no electricity, running water, or bathroom facilities.
Discovery Place (up to age 10)
Reserve the Museum's Discovery Place for your party. This hands-on gallery provides a safe environment to explore a Kansas farm, Grandma's attic, a kid-sized tipi, furry puppets, and more. Play a musical game to learn about Kansas symbols too.
- All parties must be reserved at least two weeks ahead of time.
- Contact the facilities rental coordinator to reserve the room.
Hours & Rates
- Saturdays, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Sundays, 1-5 p.m.
- $125 for up to 12 children and 6 adults
- Additional children--$7, adults--$6, maximum 20 children
- You may choose to add 30 minutes for set up or clean up for an extra $25.
- Two-hour use of Museum classroom
- Active learning program conducted by Museum staff (1 hour)
- Plates, napkins, cups, and utensils
- Museum admission
- Children's party favors
- Parents can bring in food and drink, although it must stay in the classroom. If needed, parents may also use the kitchenette. Food and drink are not allowed in Discovery Place or Museum.