Constitution Hall - About
Lecompton was the only official capital of Kansas Territory, approved in 1855 by the territorial legislature. The town was built by men who generally shared the legislature's proslavery views. Located near the center of the settled part of the territory, Lecompton remained the official capital until Topeka became the state capital in 1861.
During 1857 this building was one of the busiest and most important in Kansas Territory. more
The Kansas Legislature approved Constitution Hall as a state historic site in 1986. The site was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and became a National Historic Landmark in 1974.
The Friends of Constitution/Historic Lecompton is a partner with Constitution Hall. the friends can be contacted at Lecompton Historical Society, Main Office, 640 E. Woodson, Lecompton KS 66050, 785-887-6285, 785-887-6148, LaneMuseum@aol.com.