- Early settler of Nicodemus
- Clerk of Graham County in 1880
- Kansas state auditor from 1883-1887
- First African American to hold statewide office in a northern state
- Worked to create a state for blacks in Oklahoma Territory
Explore our online encyclopedia of Kansas history. Browse by people, place, theme, and race and ethnicity.
The Historical Society assists people in understanding and appreciating their Kansas heritage and how it relates to their lives.
6425 SW 6th Avenue Topeka KS 66615-1099
6425 SW 6th Avenue · Topeka, KS 66615-1099 · 785-272-8681 · kshs.org · Contact the webmaster
© 2014 Kansas Historical Society