Historic Preservation Fund
The Kansas State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) administers the Historic Preservation Fund (HPF) to finance local preservation activities that will contribute to planning for the preservation of the built environment and archeological resources. Up to 60 percent of the cost of eligible activities can be funded through this program. Through property identification and evaluation, communities may assess their historic properties and develop plans for their recognition and preservation.
HPF projects must result in a tangible product. Eligible products include, but are not limited to:
- preservation plans for communities or historic properties
- surveys of cultural resources
- National Register historic district nominations
- design-review guidelines for historic districts
- walking tour brochures, websites, or podcasts
- educational presentations, conferences, or workshops
For additional project ideas and program requirements see the current HPF Products Manual or contact the SHPO. Any applicant seeking funding for a survey project must agree to the current HPF grant-funded survey requirements.
2013 Historic Preservation Fund
The National Park Service has not yet notified the Kansas Historical Society of the total funding expected. Therefore, the 2013 HPF grant committee ranked all of the applications received in the order recommended for funding pending availability of funds. Project agreements will not be signed with any applicants until the federal funding is verified by the National Park Service.
The 2013 HPF grant committee recommended that projects be funded in the following order, pending allocation and availability of funds:
· City of Wichita – South Central Neighborhood Survey Area 2 -- $24,999
· Douglas County – Historic Resources Survey of Wakarusa Township -- $20,000
· City of Wichita – Steel Window Repair Seminar & Workshop -- $14,000
· City of Lawrence – Quantrill’s Raid Surviving Structures Survey -- $15,500
· City of Topeka – Scholarship for National Trust Conference -- $5,000
· City of Wichita – Scholarship for NACP Conference 2014 -- $5,115
· Kansas State University – Technical Analysis of Pottery from the Kansas Monument Site 14RP1 -- $4,529
· Kansas State University – Phase III National Register of Historic Places Evaluation of 12RY402 Riley County, KS -- $10,064
· City of Hutchinson – Hutchinson Downtown Historic District -- $7,027
The following grant application was evaluated, but was removed from consideration for the 2013 HPF grant round at the request of the Kansas State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO). This project will be funded with excess funds from the 2012 HPF allocation.
· Kansas Preservation Alliance – 2013 Kansas Preservation Conference -- $10,000
Applications for the 2014 Historic Preservation Fund grant round will be available in late autumn of 2013. Applications will be due March 1, 2014.
For more information on the program or to request an application via mail, please contact:
Kansas Historical Society
6425 SW 6th Avenue
Topeka KS 66615-1099
785-272-8681, ext. 240