Iowa and Sac & Fox Mission - About
Between 1825 and 1850, 25 tribes were relocated to Kansas as part of the Indian removal. Two tiny strings of land in extreme northeast Kansas were set aside for the Iowas and the Sac & Foxes. This mission was established in 1845 by the Presbyterian church to house and educate their children.
A Presbyterian Mission to Iowa Indians was established nine miles south of Joseph Robidoux's Blacksnake Hills Trading Post (present-day St. Joseph, Missouri) on the Missouri River in 1835. more
In 1937 the Northeast Kansas Historical Society organized to preserve the remaining portion of the mission building. It became the property of the state in 1941. Since 1963 the Kansas Historical Society has administered this property as a state historic site. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
The Friends of Iowa and Sac & Fox Mission support the site through fund raising. For more information call 785-442-3304.