- Arrived in Osawatomie in 1855
- Used violence in his efforts to end slavery
- Called both a hero and a villain
- His efforts led to territory being called "Bleeding Kansas"
- Hanged for attacking a federal arsenal in Virginia
- Portrayed in John Steuart Curry's famous painting, Tragic Prelude, at Kansas State Capitol
Find more about John Brown on Kansaspedia; a Read Kansas! lesson M-14 Territorial Characters; and primary sources related to John Brown on Kansas Memory. John Brown was selected as one of the 25 Notable Kansans.