Jump to Navigation

Kansas Archeology Training Program Past Field School Sites

Click for a Kansas county map showing locations of KATP sites. The thumbnail photo is a link to a larger image.

2005 - 2010
1995 - 2004
1985 - 1994
1975 - 1984

 1994 - (June) Cowley County, Killdeer Site (14CO501) & Maple City Quarry (14CO5)

  • A total of 9,776 hours were volunteered at these two sites by 191 KAA members attending this KATP event.

  • The Killdeer Site is culturally affiliated with the Lower Walnut focus of the protohistoric Great Bend aspect. This site was scheduled to be destroyed by construction of a highway by-pass around Arkansas City.

  • Reported in: Marlin F. Hawley and Cherie E. Haury (1994) "Lower Walnut Great Bend: Investigations of Sites near Arkansas City, Kansas, Background and Preliminary Results," Kansas Anthropologist 15(1):1-45; Marlin F. Hawley (1994) "Killdeer Site Imitates the Universe: 1994 KATP Field School at 14CO501," KAA Newsletter 6(4):3-7; and Marlin F. Hawley and Virginia A. Wulfkuhle (1994) "KATP's Twentieth Season Spent in Arkansas City," Kansas Preservation 16(5):1-5

  • The Maple City Quarry was a prehistoric quarry that served as a source of chert (or "flint"), a lithic raw material used by Native American peoples to manufacture stone tools.

  • Reported in: Martin Stein and John R. Reynolds (1994) "Querying the Quarry: KATP Lithic Technology Class at 14CO5," KAA Newsletter 6(4):7-10.

1993 - McPherson County, Sharps Creek Site (14MP408)

  • photo Kansas Archeology Training Program, 1993During this second season of KATP fieldwork at the Sharps Creek Site, 248 KAA volunteers donated 4,234 hours of labor.

  • Reported in: Mary Conrad (1993) "June Excavations at Sharps Creek Site Near Lindsborg, Kansas," KAA Newsletter 5(5):3-6; and Virginia Wulfkuhle (1993) "1993 KATP Returns to Sharps Creek," Kansas Preservation 15(6):1-3

1992 - McPherson County, Sharps Creek Site (14MP408)

  • photo Kansas Archeology Training Program, 1992This is a Great Bend aspect village site. There were 295 KAA members volunteering during the 1992 KATP, donating a total of 5,980 hours of labor to the research.

  • Reported in: Martin Stein (1992) "Kansas Archeology Training Program Investigates Site in McPherson County," Kansas Preservation 14(5):1-3

1991 - Washington County, Hollenberg Pony Express Station (14WH316) & Wollenberg Site (14WH319)

  • photo Kansas Archeology Training Program, 1991

    During the 1991 KATP, 205 KAA members volunteered 4,920 hours of labor to study these two sites.

  • The Hollenberg Pony Express Station is owned and operated by the Kansas State Historical Society as a museum facility and is a National Historic Landmark. This site is associated with both the Oregon-California Trail and the Pony Express. Gerrat and Sophia Hollenberg established this stage station and road ranch in 1858, providing food, shelter, and supplies to travelers.

  • photo Kansas Archeology Training Program, 1991The Wollenberg Site was a habitation area occupied during the Middle Ceramic period.

  • Reported in: John D. Reynolds and Virginia A. Wulfkuhle (1991) "The 1991 Dig and the Kansas Archeology Training Program," KAA Newsletter 3(5):5-7; and John D. Reynolds and Virginia Wulfkuhle (1991) "Dig and Kansas Archeology Training Program Held in Washington County," Kansas Preservation 14(1):9-11

1990 - Sheridan County, Albert Bell Site (14SD305) & Cottonwood Ranch (14SD327)

  • photo Kansas Archeology Training Program, 1990A total of 120 KAA volunteers donated 6,200 hours during the KATP investigations at these two sites.

  • The Albert Bell Site is an earthlodge habitation site culturally affiliated with Middle Ceramic period Upper Republican peoples.

  • The Cottonwood Ranch consists of a late nineteenth century sheep ranch. The native stone house (constructed 1885-1896) and outbuildings (built 1891-1892) symbolize English settlement and ranching on the High Plains of northwestern Kansas. The Pratt family maintained elements of their British heritage in the construction of the photo Kansas Archeology Training Program, 1990buildings and in their daily activities. The site is currently owned and operated by the Kansas State Historical Society as a museum facility and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

  • Reported in: William B. Lees (1990) "Report: 1990 Kansas Archeology Training Program," KAA Newsletter 2(4):1-3; William B. Lees and John D. Reynolds (1991) "History and Prehistory the Subject of Sheridan County Expedition" Kansas Preservation 13(4):1-4.

1989 - Comanche County, Booth Site (14CM406)

  • During the 1989 KATP event, 130 KAA members volunteered approximately 5,590 hours in the study of this Middle Ceramic period Wilmore complex site.

  • Reported in: William B. Lees and John D. Reynolds (1989) "Fifteenth Annual Training Program Dig Held in Comanche County" Kansas Preservation 11(6):6-7; William B. Lees (1990) Chronological Placement of the Booth Site: Implications for the Wilmore Complex and Southern Plains Culture History Report on file, Archeology Office, Kansas State Historical Society; Martin Stein (1991) "Booth Site Provides Preservation Example" Kansas Preservation 13(2):5-7; C. Tod Bevitt (1999) "An Archeologist's Notebook: The Wilmore Complex of the Middle Ceramic Period on the Southern High Plains of South-Central and Southwest Kansas," Kansas Preservation 21(1):5-7, 12; C. Tod Bevitt (1999) "Life on the High Plains Border: Archeological Investigation of Three Late Prehistoric Habitation Sites in Southwest Kansas" The Kansas Anthropologist 20:1-106 and (2001) "Cache or Trash? The Characteristics of Two Lithic Features from the Booth Site (14CM406), Comanche County, Kansas" The Kansas Anthropologist 22:15-32

1988 - Harper County, Hallman Site (14HP524)

  • This site is culturally affiliated with the Bluff Creek complex dating from the Middle Ceramic period (ca. A.D. 1000-1500). During the project 128 KAA volunteers donated 6,400 hours of labor.

  • Reported in: Randall M. Thies (1989) "A Preliminary Report on the Hallman Site and the 1988 Kansas Archeology Training Program" Journal of the KAA 9(9):174-199; Randall M. Thies (1989) "KAA Members Make Archeological Discovery in Harper County" Kansas Preservation 11(2):2-3; Marie H. Huhnke (1999) "Artifact Analysis Reveals Bustling A.D. 1100 Farmstead" Kansas Preservation 21(4):9, 12-13; Marie H. Huhnke (2000) "The Hallman Site (14HP524), Harper County, Kansas: New Light on Bluff Creek" The Kansas Anthropologist 21:1-33; Shelly Berger (2003) "Pots and Posts from Hallman, 14HP524, a Bluff Creek Phase Site in Harper County, Kansas" Unpublished Master's thesis, Department of Anthropology, University of Kansas, Lawrence; Shelly Berger (2004) "Ceramic Artifacts from the Hallman Site (14HP524), A Bluff Creek Complex Site in Harper County, Kansas" The Kansas Anthropologist 25:75-124.

1987 - Shawnee County, Hard Chief's Village (14SH301)

  • photo Kansas Archeology Training Program, 1987This earthlodge village site was occupied by Kansa Indians during the early Historic period. A total of 199 KAA members volunteered 9,950 hours toward archeological investigations at this site.

  • Reported in: John D. Reynolds (1987) "Hard Chief's Village Was Site of 1987 KAA Excavations" Kansas Preservation 9(6):1-3; Randall M. Thies (1988) "Hard Chief's Village and the 1987 Kansas Archeology Training Program," Journal of the KAA 8(4 & 5):86-108; James O. Marshall (2000) "Archeology at Hard Chief's Village: An Introductory Study of the Kansa Indian Experience in the American West, 1806-1846" The Kansas Anthropologist 21:57-89.

1986 - Rice County, C. F. Thompson Site (14RC9)

  • photo Kansas Archeology Training Program, 1986This Great Bend aspect village site is listed with the Tobias Site as the Tobias-Thompson National Historic Landmark. It is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Little River Archeological District. During the 1986 KATP 81 volunteers donated approximately 3,483 hours of labor at the site.

  • Reported in: Martin Stein (1986) "KAA Archeological Survey Completed in McPherson and Rice Counties," Kansas Preservation 8(5):4; Thomas A. Witty (1986) "1986 Society Dig Held at C. F. Thompson Site in Rice County," Kansas Preservation 8(6):4-5

1985 - Franklin County, Jotham Meeker Farmstead (14FR308)

  • photo Kansas Archeology Training Program, 1985This historic farmstead site was occupied from 1844-1855 as part of the Baptist mission to the Ottawas. The farmstead and an associated printing office were excavated. A total of 4,500 hours were volunteered during this project by 96 KAA volunteers.

  • Reported in: William B. Lees (1985) "Kansas Archeology Training Program Investigates Jotham Meeker Farmstead," Kansas Preservation 7(6):1-3; William B. Lees (1986) Jotham Meeker's Farmstead: Historical Archeology at the Ottawa Baptist Mission, Kansas. Anthropological Series Number 13, Kansas State Historical Society

Continue to 1975-1984 Sites