Kansas Historical Quarterly - As Published - August 1933
August 1933 (Vol. 2, No. 3), pages 321 to 335
Transcribed by lhn;
digitized with permission of the Kansas Historical Society.
Biographical sketches of Salina citizens have been published from time to time in the Salina Journal under the heading, "Why I came to Salina."
A Mennonite immigration in 1876 and the settlement established in Harvey county were described by C. C. Regier in an article entitled, "An Immigrant Family of 1876," which appeared in Social Science, Winfield, for July, 1932.
Short paragraphs on historical events of local and world-wide interest are prepared by Dr. Edward Bumgardner, of Lawrence, for regular publication in several newspapers of the Midwest. under the heading, "Homeopathic Doses of History." The Lawrence Daily Journal-World, Iola Daily Register, Holton Recorder and the Valley Falls Vindicator are among the Kansas newspapers publishing the series which started August 1, 1932.
A story of the pioneers of Lookout valley was published serially in the Cedar Vale Messenger from November 8, 1932, to February 17, 1933. Pioneer reminiscences in this series were edited by O. D. Sartin.
Harvey county historical manuscripts, preserved by John C. Nicholson, have been published from time to time in the Harvey County News, Newton. Stories included in this series and their authors, if known, are: "Early History of the Formation of the County and Difficulties Encountered," Judge R. W. P. Muse, January 5, 1933; "Farming in the Early Seventies," John C. Johnston, January 12; "Early Days of Harvey County and Newton," February 2; "Burrton Township," W. L. D. Daily, February 9, and "Taking Claims, Improving Land and Other Happenings in Highland Township History," John C. Johnston, March 2.
"Wheat-the Crop of Early Centuries-Its Part in the County and State Development," by Mary H. Wires, was published in the Harvey County News, Newton, January 12, 1933.
A story of the founding of Victoria, Ellis county, and the introduction of black Angus cattle into this country, written by Alvin H. Sander, former editor of the Breeder's Gazette, was printed in the Russell Record, January 19 and 26, 1933.
322 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
Mrs. Margaret Steig, pioneer of Marshall county, was interviewed by Byron E. Guise for the Marshall County News, Marysville, January 20, 1933. Mrs. Steig came to Kansas in 1866 and settled northeast of Oketo. Other articles of Kansas historical interest appearing in this newspaper include a brief history of Blue Rapids, March 10; the experiences of William Campbell, a pony express rider, March 17; a history of the Marietta Grain Co., reputed to be the oldest cooperative grain organization in the state, March 24; the experiences of Hiram Lillibridge, Waterville pioneer, April 14; an interview with Mrs. A. J. Travelute, who has lived in Marysville since 1860, April 28; the experiences of Ed Lally, June 2, and a picture of the county sixty-six years ago as recalled by Mrs. Fred Brucker, June 16.
A "History of Waldo M. E. Church," by Mary A. Jain, was published in the Waldo Advocate, January 23 to February 6, 1933. S. P. Lantz was superintendent of the first Sunday school.
The story of the naming of Wagon Bed Springs was related by India H. Simmons in the Dodge City Daily Globe, January 25, 1933. "When the Rails Pushed West," naming many early-day characters and places figuring in the history of the Dodge City area, was another of Mrs. Simmons' contributions to the Globe. It was published in the issues of January 26 to 30.
Pioneers of Trego county were guests of the Wakeeney Locust club at a Kansas Day program January 20, 1933. Names of a few of these early-day settlers were published in the Western Kansas World, January 26. Brief biographical sketches of pioneers who still live in Trego county were printed in the issues of February 2 to March 9, and on February 23 over two columns were devoted to the experiences of O. A. Cortright.
The reminiscences of Mrs. E. O. Brooks (Sarah White), telling of her capture by Indians in 1868, were published in The Kansas Optimist, Jamestown, January 26, 1933. The article was written by Mrs. Carl Flitch, a daughter of Mrs. E. O. Brooks, and was read at a Jamestown Kansas Day program.
"Abram Brantley Holt, Nearly 86, Is Oldest Living Resident of Leon," was the title of a feature article appearing in the Leon News, January 27, 1933. Mr. Holt settled on Hickory creek in 1870.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE KANSAS PRESS 323
"Kansas Day, 1861-1933," was the subject of A. H. Harris' recollections published in the Yates Center News, January 27, 1933.
Early-day experiences of B. S. Head were recounted in the Cedar Vale Messenger, January 27, 1933. Mr. Head's father settled in northeastern Kansas in the spring of 1855.
Cunningham's tornado of 1900 was described in the Cunningham Clipper, in a special article appearing in its issues of January 27 to February 17, 1933.
"Through the Years With Site of Old Wyandotte County Courthouse," was the title of an illustrated historical article featured in the "Yearly Progress Edition" of the Kansas City Kansan, January 29, 1933.
Riley county in retrospect was the keynote of a pageant presented as part of the Riley County Historical Society's Kansas Day program, January 28, 1933. A list of the early settlers attending the meeting was published in the Manhattan Morning Chronicle, January 29, and the Manhattan Republic, February 2.
A brief historical sketch of Omio, once a busy Jewell county city, was published in the Topeka Daily Capital, January 30, 1933. Omio was situated three miles south of Formoso.
The battle of Black Jack, which was described by Milton Tabor in his "The Story of Kansas," printed in the Topeka Daily Capital, January 30, 1933, led Asa F. Converse, in the Wellsville Globe, February 23, to publish eye-witness accounts by Robert Pearson and G. W. E. Griffith, participants in the battle.
John Starr Barnum, one of the three men who named Wichita, died in California January 29, 1933. According to the Wichita Eagle of January 31, Barnum, David Munger, the first postmaster, and a harness maker by the name of Vigus, gave the city its name.
Biographical sketches of Wilson county pioneers are being published from time to time in the Wilson County Citizen, Fredonia. The articles, which have been prepared by Mrs. Belle C. Lyon, mention the following citizens: Luther E. Greathouse, January 31, 1933; L. C. Collins, March 14; J. E. Daniel, April 4; J. W. Koonce, April 14, and Mrs. Annie Barren, May 19.
Horse thieves operating in southern Kansas and the Indian territory over a half century ago were recalled by Judge T. J. Dyer in
324 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
the Alva (Okla.) Daily Record, January 31, February 1 and 2, 1933. Judge Dyer with his family settled near Elgin in April, 1870.
A brief history of the Santa Fe railroad was published in The Tiller and Toiler, Larned, February 2, 1933. The city's early-day fires were briefly reviewed also in this issue.
Sedgwick Congregational Church history was briefly sketched in the Sedgwick Pantagraph, February 2, 1933.
"Kansas," an address by J. H. Andrews, given at a meeting of the Humboldt Rotary Club, January 30, 1933, was published in the Humboldt Union, February 2. Mr. Andrews, who came to Allen county in 1867, related many of his earlyday experiences.
"George Bunger Writes of Original Survey of Topeka and Southwestern," was the title of a front-page feature printed in the Eskridge Independent, February 2, 1933. Two surveys for the railroad from Topeka to Council Grove were made.
Names of old settlers of Kansas, and particularly of Reno county, who registered at the fourth annual Farm and Home Week held in Hutchinson February 1 to 4, 1933, were published in the Hutchinson News and Herald in their issues of February 2, 3 and 4. The four days of festivities are regularly sponsored by the Hutchinson daily newspapers.
"Col. Asa Kinney and the Wisconsin Colony," by Margaret Eastland Ruppenthal, was published in The Russell County News, Russell, February 2, 9 and 23, 1933.
Pioneer days along White Rock creek were described by Mrs. Ellen M. Warren, of Courtland, in a series of articles printed in the Belleville Telescope, February 2 and 23, March 9 and 23, 1933. Andrew Glenn, a pioneer and member of the Excelsior colony, re viewed the history of that settlement for the Telescope Feb 9 and 16.
A sixteen-page "Booster Edition" of the Leon News was edited by the Leon Methodist Episcopal Church, February 3, 1933. Histories of the various intersocieties of the church and letters from former pastors and pioneers were featured.
A copy of the first issue of the Kansas Free State, which was published in Lawrence in January, 1855, led a reporter to reminisce of early-day Lawrence in the Daily Journal-World, February 4, 1933.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE KANSAS PRESS 325
Names of the known former students of Central Normal College, which flourished at Great Bend until 1902, were listed in the Hoisington Dispatch, February 9, 1933. Preceding a reunion of these former students, which was held at Great Bend June 10, a history of the college, by Rev. W. A. Sharp, of Topeka, was published in the Great Bend Tribune.
A letter from Wendell P. Hogue to Judge J. T. Cooper, of Fredonia, relating how the city looked to the writer in 1887 and 1888, was published in the Wilson County Citizen, February 10, 1933.
The robbery of the Medicine Lodge bank, May 1, 1884, and the part played by Caldwell "peace" officers were described in the Caldwell Daily Messenger, February 16, 1933.
A letter from Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Brown to Mr. and Mrs. R. D. Black of Summerfield, on the occasion of the Blacks' fiftieth wedding anniversary, was published in the Summerfield Sun, February 16, 1933. The letter revealed many names and places of historical interest in Marshall county.
Two members of the student body of eighteen which met for the opening assembly exercises of the Emporia Kansas State Teachers College (Kansas State Normal School) sixty-eight years ago are still living, according to information brought out at the Founders' day dinner, February 15, 1933. The Emporia Gazette of February 16, and the college Bulletin of February 17, printed historical notes on the college brought out at the dinner.
Reminiscences of pioneer Washington county residents who attended the courthouse corner-stone laying in 1886 appeared in the Washington County Register, Washington, in its issues of February 24 to March 17, 1933, in conjunction with ceremonies held when the corner stone for the new courthouse was laid March 11.
Panhandle cattle trails and their relation to Dodge City were discussed in two articles by A. W. Thompson, of Denver, Colo., published in the Dodge City Daily Globe, February 25 and 27, by courtesy of The Cattleman (Texas) and the Clayton (N. M.) News. A map showing cattle ranches on the old Tascosa trail accompanied the article.
"He helped to Haul the Guns to Defend Woodsdale From Attack," is the title of an article in the Hutchinson Herald of February 26. 1933, describing the activities of Arthur B. Campbell, of near Moscow, in the Stevens county seat warfare.
326 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
"Some Personal Glimpses of Early Kansas Editors," by William Allen White, was a feature of the March, 1933, issue of The Kansas Editor, published by the department of journalism of the University of Kansas, at Lawrence.
French settlers were the first to locate in the vicinity of presentday Burrton, according to historical records left by the late Judge W. L. Daily, of Burrton. He found that a French colony of ten families located on Turkey creek, in Alta township, in 1869. The Hutchinson Herald printed a brief account of this settlement in its issue of March 1, 1933.
"Pioneer Scraps," a column depicting the history of the founding of Wichita, appeared serially in the Wichita (evening) Eagle from March 1, to May 6, 1933. Mrs. George Whitney was the contributor.
Under the column heading "Early Day Recollections of Smith County Pioneers," the Athol-Gaylord-Cedar Review commenced a series of historical articles in its issue of March 1, 1933. Among the pioneers contributing were: C. E. Walker, in the issues of March 1, 15, 29, April 19, May 24; C. A. Cowan, March 8, 22, April 26; J. S. McDonald, April 5; Mrs. M. A. Gregg, May 10, and George L. Burr, Sr., May 17.
Philip Budenbender's experiences as one of the earliest residents of Spring Creek township, Pottawatomie county, were told in the Westmoreland Recorder, March 2, 1933.
Cawker City newspaper history was reviewed by the Cawker City Ledger, March 2, 1933. The Sentinel, founded in March, 1872, was the city's first newspaper.
Early-day life in the Greenleaf community was described by Anton Peterson in the Greenleaf Sentinel, March 2 to 16, 1933. Mr. Peterson settled in Washington county in 1869.
The sixtieth anniversary of the founding of the Christian Church in Jewell was observed February 26, 1933. A brief history of the church, which was read at the meeting by Mrs. Mary Rowe, a charter member, was published in The Jewell County Republican, March 3.
An interview with Judge W. P. Campbell, pioneer Wichitan, was published in the Wichita Beacon, March 5, 1933. Judge Campbell, who came to Kansas in 1869, compared the hardships of yesteryear with those of to-day.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE KANSAS PRESS 327
"Comanche County Was Organized in a Fraud," was the title of a story appearing in the Dodge City Daily Globe, March 7, 1933. The article was inspired by an interview with F. A. Hobble.
A six-column history of Independence was featured in the sixtysecond anniversary edition of the South Kansas Tribune, Independence, issued March 8, 1933. Walter Krone, W.S. Sickels, Lyman U. Humphrey, W. R. Pratt, and Samuel Broughton, were among the pioneers who contributed reminiscent letters commemorating the occasion.
Newspaper history of Almena was reviewed by the Almena Plaindealer, March 9, 1933, commemorating its forty-sixth birthday.
Filings of declaratory statements of intention to claim government land for homesteads near Russell were discussed by Judge J. C. Ruppenthal in The Russell County News, Russell, March 9, 23 and 30, 1933. The first filing recorded near Russell was made in what is now Grant township in May, 1871.
Reminiscences of Sarah L. Jent as told to H. C. Jent were published in the Cedar Vale Messenger, March 10, 1933. Mrs. Jent settled near Elgin in 1878.
An old school-district treasurer's book for district 59, Washington county, formed the basis for a historical review in the Linn-Palmer Record, March 10, 1933. Names of former officers, teachers, and builders of school buildings were listed in the twenty-eight year record. The first entry was that of February 24, 1872.
The history of McPherson county's oil and gas fields was published by the McPherson Daily Republican in a special oil and gas edition March 13, 1933. The discovery well was brought in September 9, 1926. A brief historical sketch of the county was also featured in the edition.
"A Story of the Bender Tragedy," as written years ago by Charles Yoe , was published in the South Kansas Tribune, Independence, March 15, 1933.
Francis Henry Roberts' "Early Days in Oskaloosa" column in the Oskaloosa Independent recalled the city's first remembered earthquake, in the issue of March 16, 1933. No special damage was done except to chimneys.
Sketches of the lives of Republic county pioneers, events in the early history of Republic City and county, history of the city's
328 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
newspapers with letters from former editors, and write-ups of the churches and schools, were features of the sixteen-page fiftieth anniversary edition of the Republic City News, March 16, 1933. The News was founded in March, 1883, by Charles H. Wolfe.
The establishment of Lawndale, southwest of the present town of Cunningham, and an Indian scare of 1885, were described by Ed Stone in the Cunningham Clipper through the issues of March 17 to April 21, 1933.
A history of the First Presbyterian church of Fairport was reviewed in the Paradise Farmer, March 20, 1933. The church edifice, which was destroyed by lightning July 9, 1932, has been rebuilt, and the new building was dedicated March 12. Rev. S. S. Wallen organized the church September 18, 1887.
Biographical sketches of Mr. and Mrs. David Greep, Kansas pioneers, were published in the Longford Leader, March 23, 1933.
"Some Early History About Tribune and Its First Church Organization," by Mrs. Sidney Simpson, was printed in the Greeley County Republican, Tribune, March 23. 1933. Also, in its issues of April 20 and 27, the Republican continued the church history of the county with a detailed account written by T. P. Tucker, a pioneer.
A history of the Soldier Christian Church as read at the fiftieth anniversary meeting March 26, 1933, was published in the Soldier Clipper, March 29. The church was organized March 28, 1883, with fourteen charter members.
History of the clock in Topeka's old post-office tower, by Dwight Thacher Harris, appeared in the Topeka State Journal, March 27, 1933. It was installed February 28, 1884.
A column review of the activities of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Kansas territory was published in the Lawrence Daily Journal-World, March 29, 1933. Rev. William A. Goode preached the first sermon to the white settlers of the territory at Hickory Point July 9, 1854, according to Dr. Edward Bumgardner, the contributor.
The fifty-fifth anniversary of the founding of the Ash Rock Congregational Church, Woodston, was observed March 26, 1933. The Woodston Argus of March 30, printed a history of the organization.
Names of Pawnee county cattlemen who have registered cattle brands with the county clerk were published in The Tiller and
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE KANSAS PRESS 329
Toiler, Larned, March 30, 1933. V. F. Wyman registered the first brand in the county, October 29, 1873.
The death of Mrs. Mary Durfey, widow of Jeff Durfey, March 23, 1933, was recorded by the Osborne County Farmer, Osborne, March 30. The Durfeys, according to the Farmer, were the first persons to be married in Osborne county.
"A Gawdy Picture Painted of Arkansas City in 1889," by D. F. MacMartin, was the title of an article published in the Arkansas City Daily Traveler, March 30, 1933. Mr. MacMartin made the run into Old Oklahoma from Arkansas City in April, 1889.
The reminiscences of Charles H. Barber, as told to Charles Rose, have appeared from time to time in the Almena Plaindealer. Mr. Barber, who was a former government Indian scout, told of a buffalo hunt with European nobility, in the issue of March 30, 1933; of an Indian ambush near present Atwood in which he was wounded by an arrow, in the April 20 number, and of the Pawnee Indian massacre near present Trenton, Neb., in the June 22 issue.
"Some History of Early Jewell City Cemeteries," by Lillian Forrest, was published in The Jewell County Republican, Jewell, March 31, 1933.
"Santa Fe's Early History a Story of Development," was the title of an address given by W. E. Greene, chief clerk of the railroad's Western division office, at Dodge City, recently. The address, which was printed in the Dodge City Daily Globe, April 1, 1933, told of the hurried construction through southwest Kansas to fulfill the land grant stipulation and the later development to California and to Chicago.
A history of the Grand Centre school, District No. 67, Osborne county, from 1878 to 1888, by H. P. Tripe, was published in the Waldo Advocate, April 3, 1933, and the Luray Herald, April 6. The school district was organized in May, 1878. Ida Catkins was. the first teacher. The building of the log schoolhouse in this district was described by Mr. Tripe in the Advocate, May 15, and the Herald, May 18.
Topeka's oldest business firms were named by G. D. McClaskey in the Topeka Daily Capital, April 4, 1933.
Early Clay county history was briefly reviewed in The Economist, Clay Center, April 5, 1933.
330 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
Biographies of Tom Lovewell, government scout, and E. D. Haney, by Ella Morlan Warren, were published in the Belleville Telescope, recently. The sketch of Mr. Lovewell appeared April 6 and 13, 1933, and that of Mr. Haney, May 4. Other pioneer sketches printed in the Telescope, author not known, include: Sam Fisher, May 18, and the Family of William Osborne, June 15.
Historical sketches of Glen Elder and Mitchell county in the early 1870's have been published in the Glen Elder Sentinel during the past few months. The series of articles, written by Alonzo Pruitt, appeared under the following titles: "Ancient Glen Elder History," April 6, 1933; "Glen Elder's Early Schools," April 20; "Early Day Doctors in This Community," April 27; "Our Churches," May 18 and 25; "Personal Recollections of My Early Neighbors," May 25; "When Kansas Was Young," June 1 and "Cereals and Fruits," June 15.
A historical sketch of Harmony Church, by Mrs. Marion Bolin, was printed in the Leon News, April 7, 1933.
The history of the Kingman Journal was reviewed by the Journal April 7, 1933, commemorating the start of its forty-fourth year. The first issue appeared in April, 1890, with John A. Maxey as editor.
A brief history of the Methodist Southwest Kansas conference, by Rev. S. M. Van Cleve, was published in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, April 9, 1933. Biographies of C. E. Williams, W. R. Rolingson, Francis M. Romine, Samuel McKibben and Dudley D. Akin, five pastors who were members of the conference at its inception and who are still living, were included in this resume.
Maplehill's history was reviewed in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, April 9, 1933. The townsite was opened for settlement by George A. Fowler in 1887.
Cowley county history was sketched by L. A. Millspaugh before a meeting of the Cowley County Historical Society April 10, 1933. A resume of his speech was published in the Winfield Daily Courier, April 11.
A biography of "Mother" Bickerdyke, for whom the state institution at Ellsworth was named, was printed in the Ellsworth Messenger, April 13, 1933. The Hays Daily News reprinted the article in its April 21 issue.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE KANSAS PRESS 331
John H. DeVault, a pioneer Kansan, was the subject of a biographical sketch in The Scott County Record, Scott City, April 13 and 20, 1933. Martha Brock was the contributor.
"Back Trailing With Our Pioneer Women" was the title of a two-column story appearing in the Cedar Vale Messenger, April 14, 1933, in which the experiences of several Chautauqua county settlers were recounted.
"Rolla Will Celebrate Town's Twentieth Anniversary This Year," was the title of a brief historical sketch of the city published in The Morton County Farmer, Rolla, April 14, 1933.
A. P. Elder, a resident of Franklin county for seventy-five years, was interviewed by W. E. Gilliland for the Ottawa Herald, April 15, 1933. In the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, of April 16, Mr. Elder recalled Quantrill's raid on Lawrence, in 1863, which he witnessed from a nearby hill.
A triple lynching in Anthony forty-seven years ago was recalled by the Anthony Times, April 18, 1933.
A history of the Ladies Reading Club of Girard, by Mrs. Nora Vincent, was published in the Girard Press, April 20, 1933. The club was organized April 21, 1883. Mrs. Anna M. Leonard was the founder.
The reminiscences of E. W. Voorhis, of Columbia, Mo., and J. L. C. Wilson, of Washington, D. C., two Russell county pioneers, are appearing serially in the Russell Record. Mr. Voorhis' sketches entitled "Those Golden Days When Russell Was Made," began with the issue of April 20, 1933. "Way Back When," by Mr. Wilson, commenced June 22.
Biographical sketches of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Sheeran, as told by a relative, were published in the Chapman Advertiser, April 20, 1933.
The genealogy of the Gove family, a member of which was Capt. Grenville L. Gove for whom Gove county was named, was reviewed in the Republican-Gazette, Gove City, April 20, 1933.
"Still Register Cattle Brands in Ford County," the Dodge City Daily Globe headlined in its issue of April 21, 1933. There are 455 different brands on record to date, says the Globe, with the first registered in 1878 by Fulton and Stevens.
332 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
A discussion of the Hamilton county-seat troubles was continued by C. W. Noell in the Syracuse Journal in its issues of April 21 and June 23, 1933. Special significance was placed on the Coomes precinct election fraud in the issue of April 21.
"The story of a Real Pioneer of Southern Kansas," was the title of an article by Rev. Win. Schaefers relating the reminiscences of William Mies in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, April 23, 1933. Mr. Mies came to Kansas in 1874, settling near Wichita.
Elkhart history was briefly reviewed in the Elkhart Tri-State News, April 27, 1933. Elkhart was founded in the spring of 1913.
School history of Leon was traced in a twenty-page edition of the Leon News published April 28, 1933. The newspaper was edited by a high-school English class.
"The Story of the Old Home Town, Jewell City, Kansas," a detailed history compiled by Everett Palmer, is running serially in The Jewell County Republican, starting with the issue of April 28, 1933. The Jewell City Town Co. was organized May 28, 1870.
"Carrying Old Glory to Kansas," a column relating the life of Gen. Philip St. George Cooke, is appearing serially in the Wichita (evening) Eagle, commencing with the issue of May 1, 1933.
"A Little History of the Early Days of Kansas," by J. L. Garrett, of Dorrance, was printed in the Grainfield Cap Sheaf, May 5, 1933. Mr. Garrett's family settled west of Wilson in 1872.
Dedicatory services for Walnut's new Methodist Episcopal church building were held April 30, 1933. A history of the organization was sketched in the Walnut Eagle, May 5, commemorating the event.
Early Toronto history was told in a letter from J. T. Cooper published in the Toronto Republican, May 11, 1933. Mr. Cooper was principal of the city's schools in 1892.
Dedicatory services for the rebuilt Presbyterian church in Lincoln was held May 7, 1933. Both the Lincoln Sentinel-Republican and The Lincoln County News, in their issues of May 11, printed histories of the church in commemoration of the event. The Lincoln congregation was organized in 1873.
"Kansas History and Horses," was the title of an article appearing in the Beloit Gazette, May 17, 1933, extolling Kansas equines famous in turf history.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE KANSAS PRESS 333
Historical facts about Norcatur were printed in the Norcatur Dispatch, May 18, 1933. The city was incorporated in October, 1901.
The sixtieth anniversary of the First Presbyterian Church of Hays was observed May 27, 1933. The church was organized by Rev. Timothy Hill and the first building was erected in 1879. Ministers who have served the church since its founding were named in the Hays Daily News, May 23.
A biographical sketch of Henry Sides, Civil War veteran and pioneer of Almena, was published in the Almena Plaindealer, May 25, 1933.
"Harvey County Pioneer Tells of Visit by the Notorious Jesse James in Early Days," was the title of an article relating the experiences of Nellie M. Young, of Halstead, printed in the Harvey County News, Newton, May 25, 1933. The visit to the home of the Youngs occurred in August, 1875.
Ferries operating across the Kansas river at Lawrence were discussed by Dr. Edward Bumgardner in the Lawrence Daily Journal-World, May 30, 1933. Gustave A. Graeber operated the latest ferry in the city as an emergency service during the flood of 1903.
Special historical articles commemorating the sixty-fifth anniversary of the organization of Girard Town Co. by Dr. C. H. Strong appeared in the Girard Press, June 1, 1933. Brief biographical sketches of Dr. Strong, J. H. McCoy, W. S. Hitch, W. C. Veatch, Dr. L. P. Adamson and Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Eldridge were features of the edition.
Russell Congregational Church history was reviewed by Mrs. Frances Dawson for a recent state church meeting and was published in the Russell Record, June 1, 1933.
The Lewis High School commencement address delivered by Dr. James C. Malin, May 24, 1933, ran serially in the Lewis Press, in its issues of June 1 to July 6, inclusive. Dr. Malin's subject was "The Evolution of a Rural Community. An Introduction to the History of Wayne Township, Edwards County."
Early day postmasters in Mitchell county were named by A. B. Adamson in the Beloit Daily Call, June 2, 1933.
A brief history of Iowa Point, important Kansas town during territorial days, was published in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times, June 7, 1933.
334 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
"Newspaper Files Reveal Interesting Story of Burlingame High School Graduates," was the title of a feature article by Mrs. W. G. Beale, appearing in The Enterprise-Chronicle, Burlingame, June 8, 1933. The first class was graduated in 1887.
"Early Wallace County, General Custer, and the Seventh Cavalry," from the reminiscences of Lewis C. Gandy, was the title of an article published in The Western Times, Sharon Springs, June 8, July 6 and 13, 1933.
"Local Man Bore Custer From Field at Little Big Horn," writes The Tiller and Toiler, Larned, June 8, 1933, in a feature story relating the experiences of Charles W. Guernsey, who visited the Custer battlefield the morning after the fight.
"Missouri River Really the Kaw From Kansas City to St. Louis," was the report of a Kansas City (Mo.) Star representative after interviewing U. S. army engineers. The story, which appeared June 9, 1933, stated that the Kaw is "the true river between Kansas City and the Mississippi," and that "the Missouri, from a point in North Dakota to Kansas City, probably is the `newest' river in the United States."
A brief illustrated history of St. John's Military Academy, of Salina, was printed in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, June 11, 1933. The academy was founded in 1887, largely through the efforts of Bishop E. S. Thomas.
The sixtieth anniversary of the settlement of Sellens creek, near Russell, was observed June 14, 1933. A brief description of the caravan which left Kankakee, Ill., in three wagons sixty years ago, was published in the Russell Record, June 15, 1933.
A few of the pioneers settling in the vicinity of Geuda Springs were named by George M. Bigger in his reminiscences published in the Geuda Springs News, June 15, 1933.
The recent visit of J. J. Johnson to the Beloit Gazette's office led the Gazette to reminisce on its early history in the issue of June 21, 1933. Mr. Johnson with A. B. Chaffee founded the Gazette in 1872.
A short history of Ionia, oldest God-child of Ionia, Mich., was published in the Ionia Booster, June 23, 1933. The article was a reprint from the Ionia (Mich.) Sentinel.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE KANSAS PRESS 335
A column history of the Walnut Christian Church appeared in the Walnut Eagle, June 23, 1933. The church was organized in 1882 by J. Hennesy.
"Recall 1893 Rain Experiment," was the title of a brief article discussing the simultaneous firing-off of gunpowder in May, 1893, in several southern Kansas cities in an effort to break the drouth, which was published in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, June 25, 1933. Rain came within a few hours, but meteorologists scoffed at the gunpowder theory. Similar attempts at rainmaking in Pawnee county were related by E. E. Frizell in The Tiller and Toiler, Larned, April 6.
To Rev. Isaac McCoy, early Baptist missionary, goes the credit of launching and making a success of the movement that resulted in the segregation of the Indians west of Missouri and Arkansas, according to Maj. William W. Harris, writing in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, June 25, 1933. The movement resulted in the congressional "Act of May 26, 1830," establishing what at that time was believed to be the future, permanent abode of all North American Indians then residing within our national boundaries.
Burial grounds near Waldo were described by H. P. Tripp in the Waldo Advocate, June 26, 1933.