Kansas Historical Quarterly - As Published - February 1935
February 1935 (Vol. 4, No. 1), pages 94 to 107
Transcribed by lhn; additional HTML by Susan Stafford;
digitized with permission of the Kansas Historical Society.
Sketches concerning early Washington and Marshall county his tory are featured in Grant Ewing's column, "Notes By the Way- side," published from time to time in the Barnes Chief. Pictures of Norton county's pioneers, as taken from Lockard's History of Norton County, have appeared occasionally in recent. issues of the Norton Champion.
Recollections of early-day Nicodemus by George Moore were recorded by W. F. Hughes in his column, "Facts and Comment," printed in the Rooks County Record, of Stockton, March 29, 1934.
Falls City (Neb.) history was reviewed by David D. Reavis in his column, "Through the Years in Falls City," published in the Falls City Journal from May 10 to June 28, 1934. Mention was made in the series of articles of the Indians and Doniphan county and of the activities of James Lane and John Brown in the Falls City area on their way to and from Kansas.
George J. Remsburg, a former Kansas newspaper publisher, is associate editor of the Pony Express Courier, a monthly journal now being published at Placerville, Calif., a historic California mining town of gold-rush days. The Courier, since its inception on June 1, 1934, has been replete with historical articles of the gold rush and pony express eras. Mr. Remsburg is an able writer of history and his present series in the Courier maintains the high standard of his previous writings. His recent articles of especial interest to Kansans include: "Pony Express Riders I Have Met," "Kansas Governors in California History," "Marysville, Kansas, a Historic Town Born in the California Gold Rush," and "Buffalo Billions."
A recently revealed memorandum dictated by Lieut. James D. Mann a few days before his death throws considerable light on the Battle of Wounded Knee Creek, the Junction City Union reported in a brief review of the incident printed in its issue of June 25, 1934. Lieutenant Mann's memorandum in full appears in a recent issue of The Cavalry Journal, of Washington, D. C.
Early maps of Russell county were discussed by J. C. Ruppenthal in his column "Russell Rustlings," appearing in the Paradise Farmer, June 25, 1934. Only about ten place names appear on the twenty-
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 95
five township maps made by a United States survey in 1866-1867, Mr. Ruppenthal reported.
The story of the development of the Fort Hays Frontier Historical Park was written by J. P. Cammack, the construction superintendent, for the Hays Daily News, June 28, 1934.
Arkansas City post-office history was reviewed by L. B. Mohler, postmaster, in the Arkansas City Tribune, September 20, 1934. Gould Hyde Norton, the first postmaster, was appointed May 16, 1870.
A twelve-page brochure entitled History of First Baptist Church of Emporia, was recently published by Miss Adelaide Jane Morse. The church was originally organized in Emporia in October, 1859, with nine members. They all moved away soon afterward, and no meetings were held until February 8, 1868, when the present church was organized.
Mayfield church history was reviewed in a two-column article printed in the Wellington Daily News, October 11, 1934, and The Summer County News, October 17.
The history of Schoenfeld Reformed church of Wheatland township, Barton county, was published in the Hoisington Dispatch, October 18, 1934. The church celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its founding October 7.
"A Brief History of Pawnee County," by Harry H. Wolcott, was printed in the Larned Chronoscope in its issues of October 18 and 25, 1934. Mr. Wolcott prepared the narrative for use at a meeting of the Pawnee Women's Farm Bureau Units held at Larned on October 12.
The history of the 137th infantry, to which Company D of Dodge City belongs, was reviewed in the Dodge City Daily Globe. October 22, 1934.
A history of Rice county's School District No. 19, more commonly known as Hebron, was sketched by R. H. Smith in the Lyons Daily News, October 23, 1934.
The fiftieth anniversary of the Strong City Grace Evangelical Lutheran church was observed with special services held at the church on October 14, 1934. Only one charter voting member, William Eckhart, Sr., of Bazaar, is now living, the Chase County Leader, of Cottonwood Falls, reported in its issue of October 24.
96 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
Winona forty-five years ago was described by J. C. Rice in an interview with J. G. Felts, published in the Logan County News, of Winona, October 25, 1934. Mr. Rice, while living in Winona, was president of the townsite company.
Fifty years of Protection history was sketched in the Protection Post, October 25, 1934, commemorating the city's founding in October, 1884. A copy of the town company's charter was printed as a feature of the edition.
Clearwater history was briefly reviewed in the Clearwater News, October 25, 1934. The city celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its founding with special ceremonies held October 31.
The Salem Evangelical Lutheran church, southeast of Marysville, celebrated the sixtieth anniversary of its founding October 19 to 21, 1934. Histories of the organization were contributed by Everett W. Nelson to The Advocate-Democrat, of Marysville, October 25, and by Byron E. Guise to the Marshall County News, October 26.
Early days along the eastern part of the Kansas-Indian territory border were described by James H. Hale in a four-column article published in the Yates Center News, October 26, 1934.
Members of the Blessed Sacrament Catholic Parish of Kansas City celebrated the silver anniversary of the pastorate of the Rev. Eugene I. Dekat, October 28, 1934. A review of the Reverend Dekat's accomplishments was included in a history of the parish printed in the Kansas City Kansan, October 28.
Hardships of pioneer days were described by Mrs. James Lynch, of Miller, in an article published in the Emporia Gazette, November 1, 1934. Mrs. Lynch came to Lyon county in 1869.
Names of old settlers and the dates of their arrival in the Cheney vicinity, as registered in the guest books at the Cheney Fair and Homecoming held October 24 to 26, 1934, were printed in the Cheney Sentinel, November 1.
Kansas City school history was briefly reviewed in the Kansas City Kansan, November 4, 1934.
Some highlights of Rice county history were sketched by Frank Hoyt in the Lyons Daily News, November 6, 1934. In the News of January 4, 1935, Mr. Hoyt described the county's Indian scare in
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 97
the latter 1870's, and in the issue of January 9 he told of the blizzard of 1886.
Horse thieves and the punishment meted out to them in Butler county in 1870 were discussed in the Douglass Tribune in its issue of November 9, 1934. The article was reprinted in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, December 2. Additional notes on the subject were supplied by W. F. McGinnis in the Tribune of November 23.
The World War experiences of Lieut. John Wesley McManigal of Horton, and Joseph S. Simpich of New Franklin, Mo., were related by A. B. MacDonald in an Armistice Day feature published in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, November 11, 1934. The article with illustrations was reproduced in the Horton Headlight, November 15.
Excerpts from the diary of Elisha Root, pioneer W ichitan, were printed in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, November 11, 1934. Mr. Root began his diary on his arrival in Wichita in 1872.
The history of old Wilmington, in present Wabaunsee county, was reviewed in the Emporia Gazette, November 13, 1934. The city was established at the junction of a road from Leavenworth with the Santa Fe trail. H. D. Shepard, who settled there in 1858, opened the first store.
A brief history of the Rogers Mills trading post which was operated by Darius Rogers near present Chanute during the Civil War period was published in the Chanute Tribune, November 17, 1934.
The history of the Wichita Indians was sketched by Paul I. Wellman in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, November 18, 1934. The Wichitas were living at the present site of the city of Wichita in 1867, when they were removed to the Indian territory.
A three-day observance of the eightieth anniversary of the founding of the Lawrence First Methodist church was held November 18 to 20, 1934. Notes on the history of the organization were published in contemporaneous issues of the Lawrence Daily Journal-World and the Douglas County Republican.
Early Liberal and Seward county history was briefly reviewed by Mr. and Mrs. B. B. Gant, western Kansas pioneers, in the Liberal News in its issues of November 20, 21, and 23, 1934.
98 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
Norton's first school was recalled by Mrs. Fred Duvall in an article published in the Norton Daily Telegram, November 21, 1934. The school was established in a dugout in 1873. Joel Simmons was the teacher.
A historical feature story entitled "Merriam Forty Years Ago and To-day," was contributed by John W. Sanders to the Merriam Leader, November 22, 1934.
The railroad bond election in Anderson county in 1868 and the part played in it by the Irish of Reeder township was recalled by J. E. Reddington, of Waverly, in the Garnett Review, November 22, 1934. A history of the Emerald Catholic church near Harris was another of Mr. Reddington's contributions to the Review, in its issue of December 13.
Immanuel Lutheran church of Lawrence celebrated the tenth anniversary of the dedication of its church building November 25, 1934. Brief histories of the organization were published in the Lawrence Douglas County Republican, November 22, 1934, and the Daily Journal-World, November 23.
The reminiscences of George W. Bragunier, pioneer merchant of Topeka and Emporia, were printed in the Emporia Gazette, November 23, 1934. Mr. Bragunier came to Kansas in 1867.
Kansans, whose biographies have recently been sketched in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star include: Dudley Doolittle, of Wichita, November 25, 1934; Hugo Wedell, Chanute attorney, December 30; Frank Milligan, business manager of Fort Scott Tribune, January 6, 1935; Frank W. Sponable, Paola banker, January 13; L. D. Brewster, Baxter Springs mining operator, January 27; Fred Harris, Ottawa attorney, February 3, and Charles D. Welch, Coffeyville attorney, February 10.
The history of the old Mickel hotel and the early town of Waterloo was discussed by Marie A. Olson in the Topeka Daily Capital, November 26, 1934. W. L. Mickel erected the hotel in 1856, and two years later he laid out the town of Waterloo with the hotel serving as the post office.
A history of Fall, in southern Leavenworth county, was sketched in the Leavenworth Times, November 27, 1934. Fall was originally named Fall Leaf in honor of Po-na-kah-wo-wha, a Delaware Indian chief whose home was in that vicinity.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 99
The history of Winding Vale school, District No. 20, of Jackson county, was contributed by Mrs. Charles E. Taylor to the Holton Recorder, November 29, 1934. The district was organized on April 26, 1862.
"'Billy the Kid' Rode to Grave in Wagon Repaired by 88-year-old Pittsburgan," was the title of a brief article relating the reminiscences of W. 8. Jones, which was published in the Pittsburg Advertiser, November 29, 1934. Mr. Jones was an early settler of Pittsburg, arriving there in 1874.
The founding of Osawatomie was briefly reviewed by Addie Mullins in the Osawatomie Graphic-News, November 29, 1934. The city was established in the middle 1850's. The execution of John Brown seventy-five years ago was recalled in a two-column review of his life published in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times, December 1, 1934. The article was contributed by Laura Knickerbocker of Topeka.
Life in old Auburn, a territorial contender for the state capital, was discussed by Frank D. Tomson in a two-column article printed in the Topeka Daily Capital, December 2, 1934.
The experiences of Charles Fish while a member of the Second Colorado cavalry on the Indian frontier were briefly related in the Chase County Leader, Cottonwood Falls, December 5, 1934.
Several historical sketches of early-day Edwards county were featured in the Kinsley Graphic, December 6, 1934.
The history of the Leavenworth, Kansas & Western railroad, a part of the Union Pacific system, was briefly reviewed in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, December 6, 1934. The line from Knox in Leavenworth county to Clay Center in Clay county, and the Belleville "connection," were abandoned early in 1935.
A history of the Canton Methodist Episcopal church was sketched by Mrs. E. P. McGill in the Canton Pilot, December 6 and 13, 1934. Mrs. McGill has attended the church since its organization in 1880.
Sherman county history as recollected by George Bradley, Goodland pioneer, has been featured in The Sherman County Herald, of Goodland, starting with the issue of December 6, 1934. Other articles of historical interest published in recent issues of the Herald include: "Methodist. History" and "When the Rock Island Built Into Goodland," December 20, 1934, and the reminiscences of D. W. Dillinger, early resident of Sherman county, February 7, 1935.
100 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
"Early Day Gunmen Gave Color to Picturesque Setting of Dodge City," was the title of a two-column article by Dr. H. 0. Simpson, which appeared in the Topeka Daily Capital, December 9, 1934. In an introduction to the article the editor wrote that Doctor Simpson moved to Dodge City in 1884 and was well acquainted with the "Bad Men" who now sleep with their boots on at "Boot Hill."
Life in central Kansas in the early days was recalled by C. Crotinger in the Great Bend Tribune, December 11, 1934. Mr. Crotinger first arrived in Great Bend in the latter 1870's, but took a claim in Rush county later where he lived for thirty-nine years.
The Osborne County Farmer, of Osborne, celebrated its sixtieth anniversary with the issuance of a special historical edition December 13, 1934. Biographical sketches of prominent pioneers, histories of Osborne's newspapers, churches, and early stores were printed. Other features included a review of the slaying of William W. Osborne by Mrs. F. S. Gibler in 1880, and a sketch of Vincent B. Osborne, the man for whom Osborne county was named, by Bert P. Walker; "Brutal Butchery of Henry Kuchell," by Del Cox; "Early Days in Grand Center," by H. P. Tripp; "Early Settlement of Osborne County," and "Early Settlement of Mt. Ayr Township," by C. E. Williams; "First Sunday School and Preaching Service in Osborne County," by Mrs. Eunice S. Bliss; "A Famous Buffalo Hunter [Jeff Durfey]," "Tragic Death of General Bull," and "The Pennsylvania Colony."
An article describing the Hugoton-Woodsdale county-seat fight written by C. A. Hitch of Guymon, Okla., was printed in the Liberal News, December 14, 1934. The story was originally published in the Guymon Panhandle Herald.
The seventy-fifth anniversary of the founding of the Burlington First Methodist Episcopal church was observed with a week Of special services held from December 10 to 16, 1934. Names of pastors serving the church were included in the brief history printed in The Daily Republican, Burlington, December 14. Additional historical information was printed in the Republican on July 11, 1913, John Redmond, the editor, reports.
A list of Reno county's senators and representatives, with the years their terms started, was contributed by Don Fossey, present Reno county legislator, to the Hutchinson News, December 15, 1934.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 101
Settlement of Moehlman Bottom, Riley county farming community, was discussed by Mrs. Charles Kientz in a paper read at the recent fiftieth anniversary celebration of the founding of Moehlman Bottom school. A resume of the paper was published in the Manhattan Mercury, December 15, 1934.
The Topeka First Presbyterian church celebrated its seventyfifth anniversary with four days of special programs starting December 16, 1934. Names of ministers of the church were included in a brief history of the organization printed in the Topeka Daily Capital, December 16. A more detailed history edited by the church anniversary committee appeared in a recently published, attractively bound 145-page book.
Early-day reminiscences of Mrs. Almeda Greever were recalled in the Hutchinson News, December 17, 1934. Mrs. Greever came to Kansas territory in the middle 1850's.
A bronze tablet, dedicated to T. W. Whiting, donor of Madonna park in Council Grove, was unveiled December 17, 1934. A brief history of the park was featured in the Council Grove Republican, December 18.
"Scene of Father Padilla's Martyrdom Remains the Basis of a Kansas Dispute," the Kansas City (Mo.) Star reported in its issue of December 22, 1934. Both Herington and Council Grove claim to be the burial place of Father Juan de Padilla who accompanied Coronado and, from a study of the evidence available, either place could be approximately correct, the Star related.
The experiences of John L. Barr, of Fort Dodge, as a member of the Nineteenth Kansas cavalry, were recorded in the Dodge City Daily Globe, December 22, 1934.
Mrs. Nettie Morss of Howard who is a member of the 1935 Kansas house of representatives is the ninth woman to become a member of the legislature. She is the first since 1931 when Kathryn O'Loughlin McCarthy was a representative in the Kansas house. The former women legislators were named in an article published in the Topeka State Journal and other Kansas newspapers, December 22, 1934, which reviewed the highlights of Mrs. Morss' career. A house in Highland Park thought to be a stopping place of John Brown in his "Underground Railroad" activities was described by Marianna Chase as another feature of this issue of the Journal.
102 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
Some of the troubles confronting the newly organized state of Kansas in 1861 were discussed by T. A. McNeal in his article entitled "The First Kansas State Legislature," published in the Topeka Daily Capital, December 23, 1934. Another article, "The Legislature of 1862," appeared in the issue of January 6, 1935.
Excerpts from the weather diary of Miss Sarah P. Ladd were printed in the Kansas City Kansan, December 23 and 31, 1934. Miss Ladd came to Kansas in the early 1840's and kept a daily account of the temperature readings to 1877. The three books in which the diary is written now belong to K. L. Browne, Sr., of Kansas City, and are considered a valuable addition to the weather records of northeast Kansas.
The survey of the southern boundary of Cowley county was discussed by Bert Moore in the Winfield Daily Courier, December 24, 1934. The first survey was a part of the southern boundary of Kansas project marked in 1857 by a party under Col. Joseph E. Johnston. Early days at Fort Dodge were recalled by Albert Fensch in the Dodge City Daily Globe, December 24, 1934. Mr. Fensch soldiered at Fort Dodge from 1877 to 1881. Other features of this issue included an article listing the business establishments in Dodge City in 1878 comparing the number of firms operating then with those doing business to-day, and a brief historical review of Ford county schools.
Reminiscenses of the late Dwight B. Christy, an early settler of Pawnee county, were printed in the Great Bend Tribune, December 24, 1934. Mr. Christy was one of the crew from Larned who held up a westbound immigrant train in order that names of the men in the party might be added to a petition, the official acceptance of which would make the surrounding territory a bona fide county, the article related.
Pioneering in early-day Kansas was described in an article relating the experiences of Mr. and Mrs. G. E. Welch, of Hartford, which was published in the Emporia Gazette, December 25, 1934.
A history of Mount Joy school, District No. 67, was briefly sketched in The Daily Republican, Burlington, December 25, 1934. The school district was organized in the fall of 1879 and located in the southwest corner of S. 10, T. 21, R. 17.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 103
"Tales of covered wagons, bushwhackers and Indians still resound on the plains at 142 creek crossing on the old Santa Fe trail," wrote a correspondent in the Emporia Gazette, December 26, 1934. Charles Withington established a trading post at this crossing in present Lyon county in June, 1854.
Garnett's Methodist Episcopal church celebrated the seventy-fifth anniversary of its founding, December 30, 1934. Names of former pastors were included in the historical sketches of the church published in the Garnett Review and The Anderson Countian in their December 27 issues.
The experiences of A. R. Wells in a Kansas blizzard in 1886 were sketched in The Sherman County Herald, of Goodland, December 27, 1934.
Brief reviews of navigation over the Arkansas river at Arkansas City were printed in the Arkansas City Daily Traveler, December 27, 1934, and the Kansas City (Mo.) Times, December 31. Agitation for water transportation at Arkansas City reached its height on June 30, 1878, it was reported. On that date the Aunt Sally steamed into "port" after completing a trip on the Arkansas from Fort Smith, Ark., with a cargo of merchandise.
Garnett history was briefly sketched by Harry Johnson in the Garnett Review, December 27, 1934, January 3 and 17, 1935. The city was established in 1856 by Dr. George W. Cooper and associates. Other stories by Mr. Johnson covering more specific phases of Gannett history have been published in the Review almost regularly in recent months.
Peru history was discussed in detail in the Sedan Times-Star, December 27, 1934; January 3, 10, 17, and 24, 1935. Winnie Looby-Severns contributed the articles.
Carrie Nation's visits to Wichita and her campaign against the saloons in that city were recalled by David D. Leaky in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, December 30, 1934. Mr. Leaky exploded some ideas concerning Mrs. Nation and told a few diverting incidents in her career, in this two-column article.
A biography of Chief Charles Bluejacket, for many years a resident of Kansas territory and Johnson county, was published in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times, December 31, 1934. His old home, erected in 1857 near Shawnee, is still standing.
104 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
The history of Kansas City, Mo., and vicinity, was reviewed in the Kansas City (Mo.) Journal-Post, December 31, 1934, marking the eightieth anniversary of the founding of the Kansas City Enterprise, the forerunner of the Journal-Post.
Starting with the issue of January 2, 1935, the Chase County Leader, of Cottonwood Falls, is republishing a "History of Chase County," which was compiled some years ago by D. A. Ellsworth.
The early history of the Kansas Pacific (now the Union Pacific) railroad was reviewed in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times, January 2, 1935.
Cheyenne county history was briefly discussed by Earl N. Conway in the St. Francis Herald, January 3, 1935. The county was organized on March 10, 1886.
Members of the Arkansas City Trinity Episcopal church held special services January 6 and 7, 1935, celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of the founding of the organization. A history of the church was sketched in the Arkansas City Tribune, January 3.
A copy of the certificate incorporating the Mound Valley Town Company was printed in The Times-Journal, Mound Valley, January 3, 1935. The document was dated June 23, 1868.
Chetopa newspaper history was briefly reviewed in the Chetopa Advance-Clipper, January 3, 1935. The Advance was founded January 6, 1869, by Col. John W. Horner and A. S. Corey.
A five-column review of the history of Kansas newspapers under the heading, "Centennial of First Printing Press in Kansas," was contributed by Eaton B. Going to the Osawatomie Graphic-News, January 3, 1935.
Recollections of early-day Kansas by Mrs. Emma Whistler, of Burlington, who came to Kansas territory in 1855, were sketched in the Topeka Daily Capital, January 6, 1935.
A map of sites of moundbuilder remains discovered in Butler county and a discussion of the progress made in tracing the cultures of the ancient races throughout Kansas were contributed by Ray E. Colton to the Wichita Sunday Eagle, January 6, 1935. Mr. Colton has contributed similar stories to other newspapers of the state in recent months.
Early wine making in the present boundaries of Doniphan county was briefly discussed by George J. Remsburg in the Atchison Globe,
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 105
January 8, 1935. The Bourgmont expedition made wine from grapes given them by the Kansas Indians in 1724, Mr. Remsburg related.
The sixty-fifth anniversary of the organization of the El Dorado First Presbyterian church was observed January 9, 1935. A history of the church was sketched in the El Dorado Times, January 10.
Early-day Arkansas City was described by W. A. Leonard of Newport Beach, Calif., in the Arkansas City Daily Traveler, January 10, 1935. Mr. Leonard recalled Arkansas City's preparation for an Indian raid in 1874 and his boat trip down the Arkansas to Little Rock in 1875.
C. L. Willey's recollections of the blizzard of 1888 were recorded by Byron E. Guise in the Marshall County News, of Marysville, January 11, 1935.
The history of the Arkansas City First Presbyterian church was reviewed in the Arkansas City Daily Traveler, January 11, 1935. The church was formally organized on January 12, 1873.
Brief sketches from the history of Washington county are being featured in the Washington County Register published at Washington. The series started with the issue of January 11, 1935.
The great blizzard of January, 1886, was discussed by old timers in the Hutchinson News, January 11, 15 to 19, 1935.
A biographical sketch of Maj. John Dougherty, trapper, Indian agent and freighter, was contributed by George J. Remsburg to the Leavenworth Times, January 17, 1935.
Hutchinson thirty years ago, was described in the Hutchinson Herald, January 17, 1935.
The fiftieth anniversary of the founding of the Halstead Presbyterian church was observed January 20, 1935. A history of the organization was contributed by the Rev. T. R. Mordy, present pastor, to the Halstead Independent, January 18.
A story of the S. F. Lewis family of Bavaria, which is now in its second generation, was read recently before a meeting of the Saline County Chapter, Native Daughters of Kansas, and was published in the Salina Journal, January 18, 1935.
The introduction of telephones into Kansas was briefly reviewed by W. R. Kercher in the Topeka State Journal, January 21, 1935.
106 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
In Mr. Kercher's opinion, a grocery company in Lawrence brought in the first telephones used in the state in the spring of 1877. Topeka, Manhattan and Leavenworth experimented with the invention a few months later, putting it into practical commercial use by 1879.
Ottawa school history was sketched in the Ottawa Record January 23, 1935.
The early history of Bonner Springs was recalled by C. L. David in a four-column article printed in the Bonner Springs Chieftain, January 24, 1935.
A history of the Harveyville Methodist Episcopal church was reviewed in the Harveyville Monitor, January 24, 1935. The church, which in January celebrated its fiftieth anniversary, received its charter from the secretary of state January 20, 1885.
Pioneer life in Kansas and particularly in Woodson county was described by A. H. Harris of Seattle, Wash., writing in the Yates Center News, January 25, 1935.
The removal of the Shawnee Indians from their lands near Columbus, Ohio, to present Johnson county was discussed in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times, January 26, 1935. The treaty, which arranged for the removal, was ratified by the United States senate April 4, 1832.
Wichita's transportation history was reviewed in an article, "From Mule Cars to Motor Busses in Wichita," published in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, January 27, 1935. A man named Chapman built the first mule car line in 1882, the Eagle reported.
The exploration of Etienne Venyard de Bourgmont, in the Kansas City region in 1714 were discussed by Dr. Dorothy Penn, of Leavenworth, in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times, January 28, 1935.
Kansas editors and their newspapers who have become famous in the state's history were reviewed by E. E. Kelley in the Topeka Daily Capital, January 29, 1935.
A history of the Columbus Christian church, by Mrs. Zora Newlands, was read at homecoming ceremonies held January 27, 1935. The history, as sketched by Mrs. Newlands, was published in the Columbus Daily Advocate, January 30, and The Modern Light, January 31. The church was organized in 1871.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 107
The visit of President R. B. Hayes to Neosho Falls in 1879 was described by R. H. Trueblood in the Yates Center News, February 1, 1935. The President was a guest at the Neosho Valley District Fair.
A history of the Center Methodist Episcopal church, near Leon, by Mrs. Louise Kenyon, was a feature of the fourth annual Methodist booster edition of the Leon News, February 1, 1935. Center church membership is now affiliated with the Leon church. An article describing early-day Leon as recalled by Mrs. George A. Kenoyer, wife of one of the city's founders, was also included in the edition.
The history of The Morton County Farmer at Rolla was briefly reviewed in its tenth anniversary edition issued February 1, 1935.
Early days in Shawnee county as witnessed by the late Mrs. J. W. Marsh were described in the Topeka Daily Capital, February 3, 1935. The article, which was prepared several years ago by Mrs. Marsh, was submitted by Mrs. J. D. Vance, a daughter.
"Setting Kansas Right on Its Own Birth Date," was the title of an article by David D. Leahy discussing Kansas' admission into the Union seventy-four years ago, which was published in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, February 3, 1935. Mr. Leahy contends that the actual birth date of Kansas was February 9, 1861, when Governor-elect Charles Robinson, took over the office of governor from Acting Governor George M. Beebe, a representative of the federal government. An article upholding January 29, the date upon which President James Buchanan signed the bill admitting Kansas to the Union, as the official birth date, was contributed by Kirke Mechem to the Kansas City Times April 10, in answer to Mr. Leahy. Mr. Mechem cited the observance of birthdays in other states and contended that Kansas was only following precedent.
Ellsworth Methodist Episcopal church history was reviewed in the Ellsworth Reporter and Messenger in their issues of February 7, 1935. The church on February 10 observed the fiftieth anniversary of the erection of the present church edifice.