Kansas Historical Quarterly - As Published - May 1934
May 1934 (Vol. 3, No. 2), pages 207 to 224
Transcribed by Lynn Nelson; HTML editing by Tod Roberts:
digitized with permission of the Kansas Historical Society.
Garnett history has received an extensive review in Harry Johnson's column, "Past and Present," which has appeared regularly for several years in the Garnett Review.
A column entitled "When Dodge Was Young," by F. A. Hobble, is being published from time to time in the Dodge City Daily Globe.
The early-day recollections of F. L. Hodgson have appeared occasionally in the Harveyville Monitor in recent months.
An Oregon woman who lived in Marysville from 1871 to 1882 wrote a series of interesting letters on early Marysville history which were published for several weeks during the latter part of 1933 and the first part of 1934 in The Advocate-Democrat, Marysville.
"How Chanute Was Founded," was the title of an article contributed by Mrs. C. T. Beatty, of Chanute, to the St. Paul Journal in its issue of August 24, 1933. Mrs. Beatty quoted quite extensively from the manuscript of Judge J. A. Wells, of Erie, one of the founders of New Chicago, now a part of Chanute.
Old notebooks kept by Mrs. S. T. Hendrickson, pioneer music teacher of Wichita, provided Rea Woodman with material for a feature story which was published in The Democrat, Wichita, in the issues of October 7 to November 4, 1933, inclusive. The notebooks which related Mrs. Hendrickson's musical activities covered the period from 1874 to 1911.
"Riding Over the Santa Fe Trail," was the title of a series of articles by Mrs. G. W. Crosby which appeared in the Chapman Advertiser in its issues of October 26, November 23, 30, and December 7, 1933. The story related many historic events happening on this famous highway.
Dorrance history was briefly sketched by J. L. Garrett in the Bunkerhill Advertiser, November 23, 1933. Other contributions from Mr. Garrett have appeared occasionally in later issues of the Advertiser.
Centralia newspaper history was published in the Centralia Journal in its fiftieth anniversary edition issued November 24, 1933.
The reminiscences of George M. Gray were written by Mrs. Maude Richey for The Times, Clay Center, November 30, 1933.
208 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
Mrs. Richey also wrote up the early-day experiences of Mrs. Nels Okerstrom for the December 28 issue. A series of articles on the origin of the names of the country schools in the Clay Center vicinity was another feature published in The Times during November and December.
A history of the Greenleaf Trinity Lutheran church was sketched in the Greenleaf Sentinel, November 30, 1933. The church celebrated its fiftieth anniversary December 3.
The killing of the last buffalo in Smith county was recalled by H. F. Henry, of Lebanon, in the Smith County Pioneer, Smith Center, November 30, 1933. Mart McGraw, Mr. Henry's neighbor, killed the animal in June, 1873.
Gray county history was pantomimed on the Farm Bureau Women's Achievement day, November 14, 1933. The pageant, as compiled by Mrs. C. B. Erskine, was published in The Jacksonian, Cimarron, November 30.
The history of The Daily Republican, Burlington, was briefly reviewed by John Redmond in its issue of December 2, 1933. Mr. Redmond has been a Burlington publisher for thirty-five years.
Numerous cases of mob violence in southern Kansas were cited by D. D. Leahy in his "Random Recollections of Other Days," published in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, December 3, 1933.
"Kansas 'Soddies' Persist, But Few Can Build Them To-day," reports the Kansas City Star in its issue of December 3, 1933. Some of the difficulties of sodhouse construction encountered by the engineers in charge of the Civilian Conservation Corps at the Kinney dam between Garden City and Dodge City were reviewed in this article.
"Firearms Were Taboo in First Rules Adopted for Wichita Pupils," by Victor Murdock, was the title of an article reviewing the school situation in Wichita in 1871, which appeared in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle, December 5, 1933.
The early history of Pawnee county was sketched in an article published in the Larned Chronoscope, December 7, 1933. The Larned Press, issued June 10, 1873, was the first newspaper.
Capt. Nathan Boone's journey through present Harper county in 1843 was reviewed by Nyle H. Miller in the Anthony Republican of December 7, 1933. Captain Boone, with a party of about ninety
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 209
men, followed a northerly course through the present counties of Harper, Kingman, Reno and Rice and returned through the neighboring Barton, Stafford, Pratt and Barber counties. The Attica Independent reprinted the article in its issues of February 15, 22, and March 1. Hiawatha newspaper history was sketched by Ewing Herbert in the seventieth anniversary edition of The Brown County World, Hiawatha, issued December 8, 1933.
Topeka in the late 80's and the operation of the steam locomotive on the "West Side Circle" was described by Dorothy Jane Willcutts in the Topeka State Journal, in its issue of December 9, 1933.
A brief biography of Anthony A. Ward, stressing the part he played in the founding of Topeka, was written by Dorothy Griffin for the Topeka Daily Capital, December 10, 1933.
"Before the White Man Came," a new serial of the Western country, by Paul I. Wellman, was commenced in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, December 10, 1933. A pageant, presenting the history of the establishment of the Rose Hill Quarterly Meeting of Friends, now the Wichita Meeting, was also summarized in this issue. The story was written by Miss Emma Kendall, head of the English department of Friends University, for the fiftieth anniversary celebration of the Quarterly meeting held in September, 1933.
W. O. Carter, pioneer in well irrigation, related his part in the discovery and development of the Arkansas valley underflow in western Kansas for irrigation purposes, in the Garden City Daily Telegram, December 13, 1933. Lee Doty, the article relates, was the first man in Finney county to utilize well water for irrigation.
A series of articles entitled "When Lincoln County Was a Youngster," was contributed recently to the Lincoln Sentinel-Republican by C. C. Hendrickson. Mr. Hendrickson, who has lived in Lincoln county since 1866, commenced the series in the issue of December 14, 1933.
The history of the Meadowlark library was sketched in the Lewis Press, December 14, 1933. The library was organized April 25, 1925.
"Vacation by Stage," was the title of an article by E. E. Kelley describing a trip in 1894 from Medicine Lodge to Pike's Peak in an old Concord stage, which was published in the Topeka Daily Capital, December 17, 1933. A biographical sketch of Dr. John H.
210 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
Holliday, Dodge City's "gun-toting" dentist of yesteryear, by Milton Tabor, was another feature of this issue.
"Topeka Folks and Affairs of Yesterday," is the title of Frank D. Tomson's column which appears as a regular Sunday feature of the Topeka Daily Capital, starting with its issue of December 24, 1933.
E. H. Keller, a resident of the Horton community for fifty-eight years, reminisced for the Horton Kiwanis club, December 26, 1933. A summary of his talk was published in the Horton Headlight, December 28.
A series of letters written by Sen. John J. Ingalls to his father in the latter 1850's, while the senator was establishing himself in Kansas territory, was printed in the Atchison Daily Globe, December 29, 1933; January 1, 4, 12, 17, 23, 26; February 2 and 5, 1934.
The capture of Black Kettle, famous wild horse of western Kansas, by Frank H. Lockard in the early 1880's, was described by E. E. Kelley in the Topeka Daily Capital, December 31, 1933.
"John Dougherty, Indian Agent," by Margaret Stauf, was the title of an article published in Mid-America, Chicago, in its January, 1934, issue. Major Dougherty's headquarters were at Fort Leavenworth during part of his term of service in the early 1800's.
Kansas Christian church history was featured in the sixty-four page January, 1934, edition of The Kansas Messenger, Topeka. Photographs of church buildings and historic sites were included. Biographical sketches of prominent pastors and a list of the Kansas Christian churches with the founding dates were of especial interest.
A bronze marker honoring Mrs. Mary E. Haines, writer and lecturer for temperance and suffrage, was dedicated December 31, 1933, at the Augusta Baptist church. A biography of Mrs. Haines was published in the Augusta Daily Gazette, January 1, 1934.
Syracuse in 1872 was recalled by George J. Haas, of Guthrie, Okla., in a recent issue of the Syracuse Journal, and in the Dodge City Daily Globe, January 3, 1934. Mr. Haas was a member of the colony from Syracuse, N. Y., which founded Syracuse, Kan.
Colony Free Press history was reviewed by the Free Press in its issue of January 4, 1934. C. T. Richardson and J. J. Burke were the founders.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 211
Ferries across the Republican river in the Clay Center vicinity were described by several old settlers writing in The Times, Clay Center, in its issues of January 4, 11, 25, and February 8, 1934.
Charles McQuiston, of La Junta, Colo., recalled the hardships of pioneering in early-day western Kansas in an article written by Ida Ellen Cox for the Dodge City Daily Globe, January 5, 1934. In the Globe of January 29, Mrs. Cox published an interview with Mrs. Luella Stutzman who witnessed the Kendall and Syracuse county-seat fight.
A biographical sketch of John Norton Holloway, early Kansas historian, was written for the Topeka Daily Capital by E. E. Kelley, in its issue of January 7, 1934.
Russell county abstracters from 1889 to 1933 were named by Judge J. C. Ruppenthal in his column, "Russell Rustlings," published in the Paradise Farmer and the Waldo Advocate, January 8, 1934.
Names of persons receiving marriage licenses in Gove county during 1933 were printed in the Republican-Gazette, Gove City, January 11, 1934.
Reminiscences of an old-time preacher were contributed by J. W. Manners, Sr., to the Lucas Independent in its issue of January 11, 1934.
The story of the life of Darius Jackman, by Mrs. Carrie Jackman Humphrey, and a history of the Chapman creek mill, of which Mr. Jackman was the owner for several years, were printed in the Chapman Advertiser, January 11, 18 and 25, 1934. Titles of other articles appearing in recent. numbers of the Advertiser were: "Story of the Michael Ryan Family," by Lawrence Ryan, February 15 and 22; "Pioneer History of Mr. and Mrs. Abraham Clayton," by Mrs. Caroline Clayton Ingersoll, March 1 and 8; and "Hold Meeting in Chapman to Consider County Line," March 22, a reprint from The Chronicle, Abilene, for January 28, 1876.
W. V. Jackson's "Just A Thinking" column published from time to time in The Western Star, Coldwater, briefly reviewed the history of Comanche county in the issue of January 12, 1934. Cattlemen were the first settlers in the present boundaries of the county in the early 1870's, Mr. Jackson reported.
212 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
Framed charters and photographs of members of patriotic organizations, lodges and railroad orders hanging in the G. A. R. room at Dodge City recalled some of the early history of these societies to a writer for the Dodge City Daily Globe in its issue of January 12, 1934.
"A Brief History of the Kansas Anti-Thief Association," was the title of an article by G. J. McCarty, secretary of the Kansas division, A. T. A., which was printed in The A. T. A. News, Cheney, January 12, 1934, and in the Cheney Sentinel, January 18. The charter for the first Kansas lodge was dated September 17, 1876. It was organized in Republic county on the farm of Charles Northrup near present Munden.
"Some Memoirs of a True Pioneer Mother of Kansas," was the title heading the autobiography of Mrs. Amelia D. McQueen, of Eureka, which was published in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, January 14, 1934. Mrs. McQueen came to Kansas from Pennsylvania in 1857. Her account was also published in the Eureka Herald, January 18.
The foundings of Chelsea and Towanda, Butler county towns, were reviewed by Victor Murdock in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle, January 17, 1934.
Postmasters of Plainville were named in a story of the founding of the city's post office which was published in the Plainville Times, January 18, 1934. W. S. Griffin started the Plainville post office in a sod house in the late 1870's.
The Indian raid on Spillman creek in May, 1869, was reviewed by Adolph Roenigk in the Salina Journal, January 18, 1934.
A brief history of Sycamore Springs was published in the Hiawatha Daily World, January 18, 1934. John Downs first purchased the site from the state in 1866.
Maj. Stephen Long's description of the Kansas Indian village near present Manhattan, which he visited in 1819, was reviewed by C. A. Kimball at a meeting of the Manhattan Cooperative club, January 18, 1934. The address was summarized in the Manhattan Mercury, January 19.
Headlines of historical feature articles recently written by Byron E. Guise for the Marshall County News, Marysville, include: "Ducks Guzzled for Gold and Found It Near an Oketo Farm Until
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 213
the Big Flood of 1903," from an interview with Mr. and Mrs. Anton Pribyl, January 19, 1934; "Barneston (Neb.) Spelled With or Without `E' Says Son of Man After Whom Town Got Name," interview with Fred H. Barnes, February 2; "Superstitions of the Indians Are Related by an Admirer of the Race," Otto J. Wullschleger, of Frankfort, March 9, and "Local Man Who Won Croix de Guerre Refreshes His Memories of World War," from an interview with F. A. Southworth, March 23. A story of the Pony Express which was opened up through Marysville April 3, 1860, was printed by the News, April 6.
The Lyons Daily News observed the tenth anniversary of the discovery of oil in Rice county with the issuance of a special oil edition, January 20, 1934. A full-page oil-field map of the county and a brief history of every well drilled in the county were contained in the edition.
The naming of Lincoln Ellsworth's South Polar ship the Wyatt Earp, prompted A. B. McDonald to write a page illustrated review of the life of that famous cowtown marshal in the Kansas City Star, January 21, 1934.
A brief history of Lockport, once thriving town on the Gray-Haskell county line, was recalled by Mrs. S. T. Alexander, of Copeland, for the Dodge City Daily Globe, January 22, 1934. The article was reprinted in the Sublette Monitor, January 25.
Kansas history was briefly sketched in The Democratic Messenger, Eureka, January 25, 1934.
A year-by-year history of southeast Kansas entitled "Annals of Osage Mission," was begun in the St. Paul Journal in its issue of January 25, 1934. W. W. Graves, editor of the Journal, compiled the series.
The history of the Afton Trinity Lutheran church was briefly reviewed in the Waterville Telegraph, January 25, 1934. The first minutes of the church were written April 26, 1886.
"Pioneer Days" is the title of a column relating the pioneering experiences of E. T. Wickersham, which appears regularly in the Fall River Star. The series had an uninterrupted run for several months from January 26, 1934, when it was continued under another heading. Several of Mr. Wickersham's articles have been reprinted in current issues of The Citizen, published at Howard.
214 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
A description of Topeka in 1874, when the wooden sidewalks were wired down to keep them from being used for firewood, was published in the Topeka State Journal, January 27, 1934. 0. K. Swayze was the contributor.
Riley county school history was reviewed by J. E. Edgerton at a meeting of the Riley County Historical Society, January 27, 1934. A resume of this address was published in the Manhattan Mercury, January 27.
"Let Not Kansas Forget Her Great Tradition," was the title of the Kansas day feature article published in the Kansas City Star, January 28, 1934. The story was contributed by Olin Templin.
Early schools in Saline county were briefly described in the Salina Journal, January 29, 1934. Information for the article was obtained from Mrs. Cora W. Rees, whose paper on Saline county history has been published in pamphlet form.
The experiences of Hank Lord, early Kansas settler and soldier, were related by C. C'. Isely in a Kansas day address before the Dodge City Kiwanis club, January 30, 1934. A resume of the speech was published in the Dodge City Daily Globe, January 31.
C. D. Lamme reviewed the history of Kansas for the Hiawatha Kiwanis club, January 30, 1933. His speech was summarized in the Hiawatha Daily World in its issue of January 31, 1934.
The fifth annual Hutchinson Farm and Home Week was held January 31 to February 3, 1934. The Hutchinson News and Herald, sponsors, published historical notes of interest to Reno county people in conjunction with the event.
An article on the development of Russell county's oil fields, with a detailed list of the 250 tests drilled during the past ten years, was printed in the Russell Record, February 1, 1934. Oil was first discovered in the county in November, 1923.
The story of education in Kansas since the days when school was held in crude log cabins was told by leaders in the state's educational field in a mimeographed publication for members of the Kansas Educators' Club, which was edited by its president, C. H. Oman. The volume, issued in February, 1934, is the tenth anniversary number of "The Kansas Educator." "A History of the Schools of Garnett, Kansas," an article written by Mr. Oman for "The Kansas Educator," was published in The Anderson Countian, Feb-
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 215
ruary 1, 1934. The first school building was erected in 1856 by the Garnett town company. Mrs. John R. Slentz was the first teacher.
A three-column history of Chetopa, written by Mrs. W. R. Veach, was printed in the Chetopa Advance-Clipper, February 1, 1934. Dr. George Lisle established the first settlement. in 1857, but the town was burned during the Civil War and was not reestablished until 1868.
First settlers of Burlingame were named by Mrs. W. G. Beale in The Enterprise-Chronicle, Burlingame, in its issue of February 1, 1934.
A resume of the accomplishments of the Tuesday Afternoon Club of Blue Rapids was published in the Blue Rapids Times, February 1, 1934, in commemoration of the club's fortieth anniversary. A brief story of Blue Rapids' old woolen mill, which employed as many as 125 persons at one time in the 1880's, was another feature of the edition.
Pioneering experiences of Mrs. Clark A. Smith were printed in the Salina Journal, February 1, 1934. Mrs. Smith came to Kansas in 1871 with a colony of settlers from Pennsylvania.
A story of the Boston-Elk Falls county seat warfare in 1874 was told in detail by Thomas E. Thompson in the Howard Courant in its issues of February 1 and 15, 1934.
The third annual "Booster Edition" of the Leon News was published February 2, 1934. Members of the Leon Methodist Episcopal church edit these editions which regularly contain several historical articles on the city and church.
A brief history of the Riley County Teachers Association was printed in The Morning Chronicle, Manhattan, February 3, 1934. The association was organized as an auxiliary to the Kansas State Teachers Association, July 9, 1886.
The 1933 "Yearly Progress Edition" of the Kansas City Kansan was issued February 4, 1934.
Activities of Russell, Majors and Waddell, early Leavenworth freighting firm, were discussed by R. A. Barry in a recent issue of the New York Herald-Tribune. The article was republished in the Topeka Daily Capital, February 4, 1934.
"The Great Spirit Spring, Waconda," was the title of a historical sketch by Elizabeth Mitchell Petro published in the Topeka State-
216 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
Journal, February 5, 1934. Zebulon Montgomery Pike, in 1806, was the first white man to view the springs.
A history of Cottonwood Falls' old mill which opened for business in 1861 was contributed by Mrs. Carrie Breese Chandler to the Chase County Leader, Cottonwood Falls, February 7, 1934. Mrs. Chandler also wrote a story of the Amos Noyes family for the Leader in its issue of March 28. The Noyes family came to Kansas in 1866.
Reminiscences of early-day Osage Mission, by Martha Rafferty, appeared in the St. Paul Journal February 8, 1934. Miss Rafferty settled in the Osage Mission vicinity in 1866.
A brief history of Blue Hill Masonic Lodge No. 198 of Lucas and the names of the men who served as past masters from 1880 to 1933 were published in the Lucas Independent, February 8, 1934.
"Sketches From the Life History of Jacob Achenbach," was the title of a five- column article which appeared in the Hardtner Press, February 8, 1934. Mr. Achenbach was a railroad builder and organizer of the Hardtner town company.
Old mills of Colony were discussed by F. S. Denney in the Colony Free Press, February 8, 1934.
The hardships endured by the settlers in Kansas during the 1880's were briefly reviewed by C. W. Thomas in The Butler County News, El Dorado, February 9, 1934.
Early Abilene is described by Almon C. Nixon in a column entitled "Border Days in Kansas," appearing from time to time in the Abilene Daily Chronicle. The series started with the issue of February 11, 1934.
Special historical feature stories published in the Topeka Daily Capital, February 11, 1934, include: "Ravanna, Once Prosperous, Is Ghost Town in a Dead County," by E. E. Kelley; "Grantville Was Named After Famous General," by Marjorie Burroughs Welter. A brief sketch of the Kansas Woman's Relief Corps also was included in this issue.
A history of the Swede Creek Evangelical church was sketched in the Waterville Telegraph, February 15, 1934. Preaching services started as early as 1864, but the church did not organize a Sunday school until 1871.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 217
The reminiscences of Mrs. L. P. Darling, of Codell, as recorded by W. F. Hughes in his column "Facts and Comment," appeared in the Rooks County Record, Stockton, February 15, 1934. Mrs. Darling settled on Paradise creek near present Codell in 1874.
Names of old settlers registering at the Barber county old settler's reunion held February 9, 1934, at Medicine Lodge, and the years they came to Kansas, were printed in The Barber County Index, Medicine Lodge, February 15, 1934.
The reminiscences of Miss Mary E. Morrison, who settled in Saline county in 1860, were published in the Elkhart Tri-State News, February 15, 1934.
A history of the old road through the sand hills south of Syracuse was written by C. W. Noell for the Syracuse Journal in its issues of February 16 and March 2, 1934. Mr. Noell believes the road was used as early as 1885. A story of the pioneering experiences of Charles L. Ong, who arrived in Syracuse in 1886, was another feature of the March 2 issue.
"An Old Kansas Cattleman's Story," was the title of an article concerning the experiences of D. W. Barton, former cattleman, which was written by E. E. Kelley for the Topeka Daily Capital, February 18, 1934.
Reminiscences of Junction City pioneers and notes on the history of Geary county were published in the Junction City Republic, February 22, 1934, commemorating the seventy-fifth anniversary of the city. The experiences of Mrs. Mary Strand-Andreen, a pioneer who now lives in Rock Island, Ill., were recorded in the March 1 issue, and Will Mackey's reminiscences were printed March 8.
"In the Days of '49," was the title of an article by Harry Johnson which appeared in The Anderson Countian, Garnett, February 22, 1934. Mr. Johnson gave an account of Paul Fearing's journey from Harmar, Ohio, to the gold fields of California.
Ogden was made county seat of Riley county in 1857 by a vote of 193 to 162, according to a Manhattan Mercury article in its issue of February 22, 1934. Minutes of the first book of county commissioners' proceedings revealed, however, that all was not harmony as a result of the vote. Another article entitled, "Crucified Ogden," was published in the Mercury, March 7.
218 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
Under the column heading, "Pioneer Reminiscences," The Barber County Index, Medicine Lodge, is publishing a series of stories and recollections as set down by Barber county pioneers. The first of this series was written by Mrs. May Shepler Lytle in the issue of February 22, 1934. Other contributors were: William Horn, March 1; J. Hugh Woodward, Howard J. Parker, March 8; Iantha (Fergason) Roach, Phoebe Rogers Gibson, March 15; Mrs. Laura M. Shell and S. Ward, March 29.
"Color and Romance in Making of Early Saline County History," was the title given the reminiscences of Joseph Lockard, who came to Kansas in 1870, which appeared in the Salina Journal, February 24, 1934. The story was presented at the February meeting of the Saline County Chapter, Native Daughters of Kansas.
A controversy regarding the location of "The Lone Tree," famous Santa Fe trail landmark, was discussed by E. E. Kelley in the Topeka Daily Capital, February 25, 1934. The tree, the site of which was regarded as approximately half way between old Fort Dodge and Fort Aubrey, was cut down in 1879. Gold mining activities on the Smoky Hill river near McCracken were reviewed by Leonard A. Prowant in this same issue.
The Junction City Union, in commemoration of the seventy-fifth anniversary of Junction City, published nineteen pages of illustrated historical articles as supplements to the regular daily issues during the week of February 26 to March 3, 1934. City librarians, members of the journalism department of the high school and Junction City pastors assisted the Union staff members in the preparation of these stories. Included among the subjects treated were the growth of the city and county; histories of the churches, schools, railroads, mail service, fire department, public library, telephones, Hogan mill dam, Ladies' Reading Club; the part German pioneers played in the building of the city; the housewarming at the Bartell hotel; the first white boy born in the city; flood of 1903; building of Army City; Indian raids in the Saline valley; steamboats on the Kansas river, and biographies of several of Junction City's pioneers.
A brief history of the Burr Oak Herald was published in its "Booster Edition" issued March 1, 1934.
The history of the building of the Wallace county courthouse was briefly sketched in The Western Times, Sharon Springs, March 1,
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 219
1934. Bonds were issued for the construction of the present building March 1, 1914.
A biography of the late Gus Haucke, of Council Grove, was published in the Council Grove Republican, March 3, 1934. Mr. Haucke, who was born in Germany, settled in Kansas in June, 1873. His son, Frank "Chief" Haucke, is a past Kansas state commander of the American Legion, and in 1930 was the nominee of the Republican party for governor.
"Carried Away by Indians as a Girl, She has Spent 65 Years Near Scene of Awful Atrocity," was the title of an article relating an interview with Mrs. Sarah White Brooks which was printed in the Kansas City Star, March 4, 1934. A. B. McDonald, the interviewer, reports that Mrs. Brooks lives within a mile of the spot where, on August 13, 1868, the Cheyennes captured her. The Clyde Republican republished the article in its issue of March 8.
Items concerning early Waconda history as gleaned from the Waconda column of the Beloit Weekly Gazette for 1872 were printed in the Waconda Chief, March 6, 1934.
The old Thomas Stanley house four miles southwest of Americus has been razed, the Emporia Gazette reports in its issue of March 7, 1934. The Stanleys, who were Quaker missionaries, first came to Kansas in 1842. The house near Americus was erected in 1864.
A brief history of Atwood was contributed by Mary Elizabeth Kelley to The Square Deal, Atwood, March 8, 1934. Atwood was established in April, 1880.
"The Foundation for the First Irish Settlement Near Solomon," was the title of a brief article by Amos Jones which appeared in the Solomon Tribune, March 8, 1934. Other reminiscences by Mr. Jones were published in the Tribune March 22 and 29, under the title, "Looking Into the Past."
The evolution of Topeka's water supply from the era of wells and cisterns to the establishment of a water works in 1882 and the laying of the water mains was reviewed in the Topeka State Journal, March 10, 1934.
Reminiscences of J. H. Robinson, a resident of Geary county for seventy-two years, were published in the Junction City Union, March 12, 1934.
220 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
The Frankfort Boy Scouts, under the leadership of A. P. Hartman, co-editor of the Frankfort Daily Index, have begun a series of trips to many of north central Kansas' historic sites. Historical notes of these excursions have appeared from time to time in the Index in recent months. As a feature of the issue for March 12, 1934, a description of Alcove Springs and a sketch of the life of Williamson Franklin Boyakin, as prepared by Clyde K. Rodkey, were published.
A half-page account of the Battle of the Arickaree, by Winfield Freeman, was printed in the Salina Journal March 14, 1934.
Jonathan Millikan built one of the first houses in Olathe, the Olathe Mirror reported in its issue of March 15, 1934. It was a two-room structure, completed in 1857, and is still standing.
A newspaper history of St. Marys was published in the fiftieth anniversary edition of the St. Marys Star, March 15, 1934. John O'Flannigan founded the Star on March 13, 1884. News of particular interest to the old-timers which was contained in two issues of the St. Marys Times, published in 1875 and 1876, was printed in the Star in its issue of March 29.
Forty manuscripts relating the histories of the school districts of Anderson county were received in a contest held recently by Mrs. Isabel Yokum, county superintendent of schools. The Garnett Review, with its issue of March 15, 1934, commenced publishing the series. The Anderson Countian, Garnett, also published the prize-winning manuscript, "School District No. 11," by Wilma Stewart, in its issue of March 22.
A letter relating some of the pioneering experiences of J. C. Martin was printed in the Kingman Journal, March 16, 1934. Mr. Martin established the Kingman Mercury, the first newspaper published in Kingman, in 1878.
Life in early-day Kansas was briefly reviewed by William Freeland for the Effingham New Leaf, March 16, 1934. Mr. Freeland came to Kansas territory in 1854.
A brief history of the old covered bridge over Big Stranger creek at Easton was published in the Leavenworth Times, March 16, 1934. The Easton bridge was one of three erected by army engineers under direction of the then commandant at Fort Leavenworth, Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston, seventy-eight years ago, the Times reports.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 221
The story of the Ashtabula colony which was organized in Ohio and settled in King City, McPherson county, in the early 1870's, was written by Alex S. Hendry for the McPherson Daily Republican in its issue of March 19, 1934.
An artist's sketch of Hutchinson as it appeared in 1878 was described in the Hutchinson News, March 19, 1934.
Early-day Junction City was described by Mrs. E. N. Church in the Junction City Republic, March 22, 1934, and in the Junction City Union, March 27. Mrs. Church arrived in Kansas in 1864 and settled on Humboldt creek near the city.
A series of articles entitled "Pioneer History of Tescott," was commenced in the Tescott News, March 22, 1934.
Early days in Clay county were briefly reviewed by Peter Hjelm for The Times, Clay Center, in its issue of March 22, 1934. Mr. Hjelm settled in Clay county in 1870.
The reminiscences of Mrs. M. S. Walker, who settled in the Rock locality, Cowley county, April 2, 1870, were published in the Winfield Daily Courier, March 24, 1934. Mrs. Walker reports that there was only one store in Winfield at the time of her arrival.
Dodge City history was briefly reviewed by Elizabeth Mitchell Petro in the Topeka State Journal, March 24, 1934. A pen sketch of Dr. o. H. Simpson's cowboy statue at Dodge City illustrated the article.
"From the Old Family Album," a series of pictures of early-day Wichita and Oklahoma, was published from time to time in the Wichita Beacon starting with the issue of March 25, 1934.
A manuscript relating some of the early-day experiences of the late Mrs. Sallie Crow was copied in the Garden City News, March 29, 1934. Mrs. Crow settled in Sequoyah county in 1879. Through the courtesy of the publishers of the News, the story was made available to E. E. Kelley who had parts of it republished in the Topeka Daily Capital, March 25.
The reminiscences of William M. Heirgood, of La Junta, Colo., were recorded by Ida Ellen Cox for the Dodge City Daily Globe, March 26, 1934. Mr. Heirgood was a resident of Hartland during the Kearny county-seat warfare.
Early-day Cuba was described in the Cuba Tribune in its issue of March 29, 1934. The city was incorporated in the spring of 1884.
222 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
The story of the disarming of a band of men under Col. Jacob Snively, who displayed a commission from the Republic of Texas authorizing the band to prey upon Mexican commerce over the Santa Fe trail, was related by C. C. Isley in the Kansas City Times, March 29, 1934, and was reprinted in the Dodge City Daily Globe, April 2.
"Your Yesterdays," a series of photographs showing persons and scenes familiar to Johnson county residents of yesteryear is being published in the Olathe Mirror starting with its issue of March 29, 1934.
The naming of Wichita's first streets was discussed by Victor Murdock in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle in its issue of March 29, 1934.
Reminiscences of the late Percival Hawes, as written for the Alta Vista Journal, December 18, 1913, were reprinted in the Journal, March 29, 1934. Mr. Hawes, who died on March 23, 1934, homesteaded a part of what is now the townsite of Alta Vista in August, 1870.
A history of Lerado, Reno county, was published in the Hutchinson News, April 2, 1934. Lerado was a boom town of the 1880's, founded by Dr. J. A. Brady, of Louisville, Ky. Most of the buildings were moved to Turon after Lerado failed to get a railroad.
School District No. 3, Russell county, was historically sketched in a series of articles by L. C. Brown which appeared in the Lucas Independent. The articles began in the April 5, 1934, issue.
"Among Our Souvenirs" is a new photographic feature appearing regularly in the Altoona Tribune. The series, which commenced with the issue of April 5, 1934, includes many pictures of persons and scenes prominent in the early-day history of Altoona.
The Plainville Times published a historical sketch of the Plainville Christian church in its issue of April 5, 1934, and a sketch of the Plainville Catholic church, in the April 12 issue.
John McBee , a resident of Kansas since April 9, 1859, reminisced for the Topeka Daily Capital in its issue of April 8, 1934. Mr. McBee has been at the information desk in the Kansas state capitol for nineteen years. The value of newspaper files to the historian was discussed by E. E. Kelly in the same issue of the Capital.