Kansas Historical Quarterly - As Published - November 1933
November 1933 (Vol. 2, No. 4), pages 391 to 399
Transcribed by lhn;
digitized with permission of the Kansas Historical Society.
The diary of William Robinson, union soldier and an Ottawa county pioneer, is being published serially in the Tescott News, starting with its issue of June 9, 1932. The diary is the property of a son, John Robinson, of Tescott.
Some of the interesting subjects discussed by W. F. McGinnis, Sr., in The Butler County News, El Dorado, during the past few months were: "Horse Thieves and How They Worked in the Sixties," March 3 and 10, 1933; "Some of Butler County's Old Time Officers," March 17; "How We Got Our Freight Before We Had a Railroad," April 7; "How We Got Our First Railroad," April 14; "A Real Buffalo Hunt in Kansas in 1871," April 21; "Opening of the Cherokee Strip, America's Greatest Horse Race," August 18; "This is the Forty-fourth Anniversary of Butler County's First and Last Kidnaping," September 8 to 29.
"Potter Memories," a column written by an early resident, is appearing from time to time in the Potter Kansan. The series started with the issue of May 18, 1933.
"The History of Solomon," by Harriet Woolley, ran serially in the Solomon Tribune from May 25 through the issue of June 15, 1933. The town company was platted in 1866 by Henry Whitley, John Williamson and Luther Hall.
The history of the Prairie Vale Missionary Union was briefly sketched in The Western Star, Coldwater, May 26, 1933.
A biographical sketch of the late Roy L. Bone, southern Kansas cowboy who became a banker, was published in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, June 11, 1933.
Buffalo hunts in the 1870's were described recently by James Smith, a southern Kansas pioneer, for a Chandler (Okla.) newspaper. The story was condensed and reprinted in the Howard Courant, June 15, 1933.
A list of the pioneer settlers buried in Crown Hill cemetery, near Coldwater, was compiled for The Western Star, Coldwater, and was published in its issue of June 16, 1933.
392 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
St. Paul Lutheran Church of Clay Center celebrated the twentyfifth anniversary of the dedication of its present church edifice, June 25, 1933. Histories of the organization were published in the Clay Center Economist, June 21, 1933, and the Clay Center Times, June 22.
George A. Linn, Mrs. B. T. Frost and Mrs. Sarah E. Dooty Strange, three pioneer Kansans, reminisced in the Neodesha Register recently. Mr. Linn was interviewed for the June 22, 1933, issue; Mrs. Frost wrote for the June 29 issue, and Mrs. Strange for the issue of August 3.
An excursion to Leavenworth by a narrow gauge railroad was briefly described by Mrs. Ella Fulton in the Winchester Star, June 30, 1933. A short history of Winchester was also included in this issue.
"A Few Reminiscenses," a column conducted by H. V. Butcher, ran serially in The Western Star, Coldwater, during July and August, 1933.
"Strange Were the Happenings in Kansas When Polygamy Was the Fad," was the title of a story depicting the life of an old Indian chief Al-lega-wa-ho, which appeared in the Kansas City (Mo.) Journal-Post, July 2, 1933.
"Historic Sites, Scenery, Found Throughout State," by Hugh Amick, was the title of an article published in the "Vacation Number" of the Wichita Sunday Eagle, July 2, 1933.
Early-day Lawrence printers were named in a letter from W. J. Flintom, of San Diego, Cal., which was printed in the Lawrence Daily JournalWorld, July 4, 1933. Mr. Flintom came to Kansas from Vermont in 1869.
A history of the site of the Scott county state park, which was given in an address to a recent bar association meeting in Scott City, by R. D. Armstrong, Scott City attorney, was published in the Dodge City Daily Globe, July 10, 1933.
Two letters recalling the visit of President R. B. Hayes to Neosho Falls in 1879 were printed in the Neosho Falls Post, July 13, 1933. Frank S. Denney and E. B. Moore were the contributors.
Former pastors and friends of the First Presbyterian Church of Clay Center contributed special historical articles to the Clay Center Times, July 13, 1933, recalling their connections with the
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE STATE PRESS 393
church. The occasion was the dedication of a new church building, July 16. The Presbyterians first organized in Clay Center April 1, 1871.
The sixty-first anniversary of the Wichita Eagle was observed July 16, 1933, with the issuance of a special illustrated historical edition.
Early Irish settlers near Solomon were discussed in an article printed in the Salina Journal, July 18, 1933. The story was based on historical sketches of a similar nature appearing in the Salina Rustler, April 13, 1895.
A jubilee commemorating the sixtieth anniversary of the organization of the Mission Covenant Church of Stotler was held July 16, 1933. A brief history of the church was published in The Journal-Free Press, Osage City, July 19, and in the Topeka Daily Capital, July 20.
Numerous fossil discoveries have been announced from northern and western Kansas in recent years. An area of about seventy square feet, containing over sixty tracks of four different species of prehistoric animals, was recently found on the George Hrabik farm near Sylvan Grove, according to the Sylvan Grove News, July 20, 1933. A Mr. Brandhorst and Dr. H. H. Lane, of Kansas University, are collaborating on the interpretation and description of these tracks.
A brief sketch of the John W. Harding family, as prepared by Mabel Harding, of San Diego, Calif., was printed in The Western Star, Coldwater, July 21, 1933. Miss Harding also contributed a column of reminiscences to the Star in the August 18 issue.
A column entitled "Territorial Days in Oskaloosa," by Francis Henry Roberts, started in the Oskaloosa Independent, July 27, 1933. Mr. Roberts' recollections in a former column, "Early Days in Oskaloosa," dated from the summer of 1862.
J. A. Comstock, early-day hotel clerk in Dodge City, wrote of his experiences in that frontier town in the Dodge City Daily Globe, July 28 and 29, 1933. Mr. Comstock, now of New York, came to Dodge City in 1881.
An address, "A Half Century of Kansas Journalism," by Gomer T. Davies, editor of the Concordia Kansan, was delivered at a meeting of the Kansas Editorial Association in Topeka, June 10,
394 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
1933, and was published in the Topeka Pink Rag in its issues of July 28 and August 4.
A brief biography of Col. S. S. Prouty, early Kansas newspaperman, was sketched in the Dodge City Daily Globe, August 1, 1933.
Some reminiscences of A. Canning, Kansas pioneer, were printed in the Salina Journal, August 2, 1933. Mr. Canning's family came to Kansas in 1859 and settled near Council Grove.
The killing of the last buffalo in Mitchell county was discussed by Alonzo Pruitt in the Glen Elder Sentinel, August 3, 1933.
"Who's Who in Lucas," a series of articles relating the history of the town's business concerns, is being published serially in the Lucas Independent, commencing with the issue of August 9, 1933.
The Cloud county Indian raid in 1868, in which Sarah White was kidnaped, was recalled by Victor Murdock in the Wichita (evening) Eagle, August 14, 1933. Mr. Murdock interviewed William Elvin White, a brother of the kidnaped girl, for the story.
Clifton High School's history was published in the Clifton News in its issues of August 17, 24, and 31,1933. The first school building was erected prior to 1868, with George D. Seabury as the first teacher.
"Minutes Disclose that `Good Old Days' in the Schools Were Anything But That," was the title of a brief presentation of the problems of School District No. 4, of which Concordia is a large part, in the 1870's. The article was printed in the Concordia Blade-Empire, August 23, 1933.
The final installment of T. P. Tucker's "Early Day Church History of Greeley County," was published in the Greeley County Republican Tribune, August 24, 1933. Other installments were announced in the August issue of the Quarterly.
"Looking Backward-a History of Cuba From Old Newspaper Files," compiled by Mr. and Mrs. L. Carpenter, appears from time to time in the Cuba Tribune. The series started with the issue of August 24, 1933.
The Anthony-Atwood battles were a spectacular part of Leavenworth county's early days, the Tonganoxie Mirror reported in its issue of August 24, 1933. An account of the Douglass-Anthony suit, in which John H. Atwood and D. R. Anthony, bitter political op-
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE STATE PRESS 395
ponents, were in the unique position of lawyer and client, was reprinted from the Kansas City Star of December 8, 1915.
"Frontier Surveying During an Indian War," by E. C. Rice, was the title of an article published in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, August 27, 1933. Mr. Rice accompanied J. B. Wilcox, of Muscotah, in the survey of some thirty townships on the Kansas-Colorado line.
Pioneers of Cherokee county having sixty years or more of residence in that county were named in the Columbus Daily Advocate, August 30, 1933. Mrs. Sallie Crane compiled the list.
"A Tribute to the Pioneer Mothers of Central Kansas," by Will Goodman, of Glendale, Calif., was published in The County Capital, St. John, August 31, 1933.
Mulvane's first train was described in a three-column illustrated story appearing in the old settlers' edition of the Mulvane News, August 31, 1933. The railroad line connected Wichita and Winfield, and the official opening excursion train went through Mulvane September 29, 1879.
"Early History Of Mt. Ayr Friends Church," 1872-1933, by C. E. Williams, was published in the Osborne County Farmer, Osborne, August 31, 1933.
Special historical editions of the Olathe newspapers were issued August 31, 1933, announcing the program for the thirty-sixth annual reunion of Johnson county old settlers, held in Olathe, September 2. Biographies of Harry King, Sr., Mrs. Louisa Keys, Mrs. Blanche Jefferson, W. H. Harrison, and William Crandall; a history of De Soto; and accounts of early explorers, the grasshopper invasion, the organization of the county, Harmony school, and the Shawnee mission, were contained in the August 31 issue of The Johnson County Democrat. The following week both The Democrat and the Olathe Mirror printed notes on the meeting and lists of the old settlers who registered.
"Crossings and Fords-Blue Bridge Forerunners," an article by Byron E. Guise, portraying the evolution in river crossing at Marysville, was published in the Marshall County News, September 1, 1933. Marysville's first bridge was completed in 1864.
Reminiscences of early-day Kansas, by J. L. Garrett, were published in the Bunkerhill Advertiser, September 7, 1933.
"Early Wallace County, General Custer, and the Seventh Cavalry," from the reminiscences of Lewis C. Gandy, was continued in
396 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
The Western Times, Sharon Springs, September 7 and 21, 1933. Other installments were mentioned in the August issue of the Quarterly.
A story entitled "Cattle Money," by McKinley W. Kreigh, former overland stage mail carrier, of Syracuse, was published in the Syracuse Journal, September 8, 1933. The article was reprinted from the October Blue Book Magazine.
"Sockless" Jerry Simpson's visits to Dodge City in the 1890's were recalled by Heinie Schmidt in a feature article printed in the Dodge City Daily Globe, September 13, 1933.
Old settler editions of the Marion Review and Record appeared recently, announcing the annual old settlers' picnic for Marion. The Review of September 13, 1933, published articles entitled: "How Ed Miller Died"; "History of the Florence Catholic Church," by Mrs. E. H. Robison; "The Last Cheyenne Raid," by A. E. Case; "Some Early Day History," by Mrs. Will Rupp, and "Reminiscences," by R. C. Coble. The Record, on September 14, continued with "Jacob Linn Brought First Load of Pine Lumber to Marion Centre," by Mrs. L. E. Riggs; "Recounting Early Pioneers of the Oursler Neighborhood," by Mrs. Chas. Locklin; "There Were Plenty of Thrills for This Pioneer Marion Family," by Mrs. Frank Knode; "A Handshake That Was Friendly," by Al Nienstedt, and "There Was an Early Day Postoffice at Oursler Station," by Mrs. N. J. Oursler.
A history of the Anthony Methodist Episcopal Church, which celebrated its fiftieth anniversary September 17, 1933, was published in the Anthony Republican, September 14. The first M. E. church edifice built on the site of the present building was dedicated on December 23, 1882, by Elder Cline.
St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church of Chepstow celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its organization, September 17, 1933. A history of the church was printed in the Barnes Chief, September 14.
The Leavenworth Chronicle issued its annual "Fort Leavenworth Edition," September 14, 1933. Notes on the founding of the fort and the perils encountered by the early freighters, the founding of the General Service School by Gen. W. T. Sherman in 1881, and a roster of officers now attending the school, were features.
A log cabin which belonged to Henry McKenzie, who came to Kansas in 1854, was believed by the late Gen. W. H. Sears to be the oldest now in existence in Douglas county. A brief history of the
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE STATE PRESS 397
cabin was published in the Lawrence Daily Journal-World, September 14, 1933.
"Battle of Beecher Island Is Thrilling Story of Indian War," was a Goodland Daily News headline for a feature article printed in its issue of September 15, 1933. The story appeared on the anniversary of its fight, which is annually commemorated with appropriate ceremonies by the Beecher Island Memorial Association, on the battleground, now a Colorado state park.
The history of Atlanta, Rice county, was briefly reviewed in the Hutchinson Herald, September 15, 1933. The site of this one-time county seat of Rice county is now a cornfield, the Herald reports.
"Dodge's First Dentist Was a Pistoleer," a two-column biography of Dr. John H. Holliday, was printed in the Dodge City Daily Globe, September 15, 1933. The story, which was written by Dr. Frank A. Dunn, was a reprint from Oral Hygiene.
The lynching of Frank Jones in Wellington, September 14, 1884, was recalled in the reminiscences of E. B. Roser appearing in the Wellington Daily News, September 16, 1933.
The fortieth anniversary of the opening of the Cherokee outlet led several Kansas pioneers to reminisce in their local newspapers on their adventures in 1893. W. H. Nelson, Asa Dean and Joe Harper were among those interviewed by the Arkansas City Daily Traveler in its issue of September 16, 1933. The Caldwell Daily Messenger of the same date devoted a column story to the run. An illustrated feature story, "Fighting For a Claim in the Old Cherokee Strip," by F. M. Gillett, was published in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, September 17, and notes on the run by Victor Murdock appeared in the Wichita (evening) Eagle, September 18.
Burlingame was named in honor of Anson Burlingame, an American, who was the first Chinese minister to the United States, the Topeka Daily Capital recalled in its issue of September 17, 1933. Burlingame was formerly known as Council City.
Cooking recipes used by Sara Robinson, wife of Charles Robinson, Kansas' first governor, were discussed by Sue Carmody Jones in an article printed in the Kansas City Star, September 20, 1933.
An account of the founding of Fowler, contained in a letter from Perry J. Wilden, of San Diego, Cal., was published in the Fowler News, September 21, 1933.
398 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
Mrs. Grace Bedell Billings, the woman who as a girl asked Abraham Lincoln to wear whiskers, now lives at Delphos, the Hays Daily News reported in its issue of September 21, 1933. Mrs. Kathryn O'Loughlin McCarthy, who related the story to the News, has copies of the letters written by Mrs. Billings and Lincoln.
A history of the Bethlehem Lutheran church and school, of Sylvan Grove, was published in the Sylvan Grove News, September 21, 1933. The first religious service was held February 9, 1879.
Five Kansas officials were impeached during the first seventy years of statehood, according to an Associated Press dispatch written by Calvin Manon and released to its member newspapers September 22, 1933.
St. Mark's Lutheran Church, of Atchison, celebrated its sixty-fifth birthday anniversary, September 24, 1933. A history of the organization was published in the Atchison Daily Globe, September 22.
"How Two Eminent Kansans Were Elected to U. S. Senate," by the late Gen. W. H. Sears, of Lawrence, was the title of an article printed in the Topeka Daily Capital, September 24, 1933, concerning the elections of John J. Ingalls and William A. Harris.
"Random Recollections of Other Days," by D. D. Leahy, published in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, September 24, 1933, related incidents in the lives of the late A. C. Jordan, former sergeant at arms of the House of Representatives, and Mrs. Jerry Simpson.
A twenty-page special illustrated historical edition of the Coffeyville Daily Journal was issued September 25, 1933, announcing the pioneer celebration to be held in Coffeyville, September 27. A detailed account of the history of the city from the organization of the town company by Col. John A. Coffey and others in August, 1869, to the present day; a brief history of Montgomery county, and biographies of Daniel Wells, Capt. D. S. Elliott, Harry Lang, Billie Breit, Jules Gillet, Chas. T. Carpenter, Hazzard W. Sear, Sr., and Owen T. Romig, Montgomery county pioneers, were features of the edition.
Early Wilson county history was reviewed by Judge J. T. Cooper before the Neodesha Rotary club, September 26, 1933. A summary of the speech, together with a letter written by Gov. Samuel J.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE STATE PRESS 399
Crawford in 1902 concerning Wilson county events, were published in the Neodesha Register, September 28.
Gove county history was reviewed at an old settlers' meeting held in Grainfield, September 20, 1933. The early history of Buffalo Park and the organization of the Smoky Hill Cattle Pool were discussed in a write-up of the meeting printed in the Gove City Republican-Gazette, September 28.
The twenty-fifth anniversary of the organization of the present Jetmore United Presbyterian Church was observed September 24, 1933. The Jetmore Republican of September 28 published a threecolumn history of the church.
Spring Branch District School's history was sketched by Mrs. Bessie Buchele in the Cedar Vale Messenger, September 29, 1933. The first school house was built in 1876.
The reminiscences of Mrs. John Durfee, a member of the Syracuse, N. Y., colony which settled in Kansas in March, 1873, were published recently in the Syracuse (N. Y.) Times and were republished in the Syracuse (Kan.) Journal, September 29, 1933.
"Southern Negroes Once Sought `Mecca' in Kansas," an illustrated feature article on the colored settlements in Graham county, was printed in the Wichita Beacon, October 1, 1933.
A brief history of the Christian Church in Kansas was sketched in the Arkansas City Daily Traveler, October 2, 1933. Mt. Pleasant church in Atchison county was the first Christian church in the present boundaries of the state. It was organized in 1855.
The First Baptist church of Atchison celebrated its seventy-fifth anniversary, October 4 to 8, 1933. A three-column history of the church from April 24, 1858, the date of the first sermon preached by a Baptist minister in Atchison, to the present day, was published in the Atchison Daily Globe, October 3, 1933.
A history of the Topeka branch of the Women's Foreign Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church, from its organization in 1883 until the present time, was printed and distributed at the fiftieth anniversay celebration of the organization held in Topeka, October 5 to 8, 1933. Mrs. George W. Isham, of Evanston, Ill., was the author.