As Published - November 1935
November 1935 (Vol. 4, No. 4), pages 399 to 412
Transcribed by lhn; additional HTML by Susan Stafford;
digitized with permission of the Kansas Historical Society.
Articles featuring the early history of Hays have predominated in the historical subjects published in recent issues of The Aerend, a quarterly magazine issued by Fort Hays Kansas State College, of Hays. "A Page From the Past," a story of the lost Beales colony which located in the Southwest in 1824, by Bee Jacquart, and "Reminiscing Through an Old Newspaper," or a. description of Hays in 1867, by F. B. Streeter, appeared in the spring, 1935, number. "Whisky Straight," life in early-day Ellis county, by Paul King, and "A He-Man of Hays [Sheriff Alexander Ramsey]," by F. B. Streeter, were printed in the summer number.
"Why They Came to Lyons," a column featuring brief biographical sketches of Lyons citizens, has appeared from time to time in the Lyons Daily News in recent months.
An interview with George Yoxall, a pioneer of northwest Kansas, was featured in W. F. Hughes' "Facts and Comments" column in the Rooks County Record, of Stockton, in its issues of February 28, March 7 and 14, 1935.
Several fifty-year residents of Herndon and vicinity were named in an article published in the Herndon Nonpareil March 21, 1935.
A prairie fire near Palco in March, 1893, and Palco's schools of 1900 were discussed by W. F. Hughes in the Rooks County Record, of Stockton, March 28, 1935.
The story of the battle of Honey Springs near present Checotah, Okla., fought between the confederate and federal forces on July 17, 1863, was reviewed by Charles R. Freeman in the Chronicles of Oklahoma, publication of the Oklahoma Historical Society, of Oklahoma City, in its June, 1935, issue. Kansas troops, under command of Maj. Gen. James G. Blunt, participated in the battle.
Salmon Brown's account of the activities of the John Brown family in Kansas territory as written shortly before his death in 1919 was printed in the Indiana Magazine of History, of Bloomington, Ind., in its June, 1935, number.
400 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
The killing of Sheriff Ramsey of Ellis county while in Rooks county in June, 1875, as recalled by the late Elam Bartholomew, was published in the Hays Daily News June 6, 1935. The article was reprinted from a 1911 issue of the Rooks County Record, of Stockton.
Clyde as seen in some early photographs of the community was described in the Clyde Republican June 27, 1935.
Highland and the railroad "that never came" were recalled by J. B. Ferguson, of Hagerstown, Md., in the Highland Vidette in its issues of June 27 and July 4, 1935.
A brief history of the North Wichita Mexican parish was published in The Catholic Advance, Wichita, June 29, 1935. The church building was erected in 1927.
The first. of several special articles on Wichita's early history by David D. Leahy appeared in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, June 30, 1935.
An article written by Fred A. Sewers over fifty years ago describing the celebration of the Fourth of July in Wichita in 1870 was published in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle, July 4, 1935.
The early history of Kincaid and the celebration of its first Fourth of July in 1886 was reviewed by Harry Johnson in the Garnett Review July 4, 1935. The town plat of Kincaid was filed on May 11, 1885. In another article in this issue of the Review Mr. Johnson recalled other Fourth of July celebrations held in Anderson county in the early days.
Miami county springs that. did not go dry during the drought of 1934 were listed in The Western Spirit, of Paola, July 5, 1935.
The history of the Lakin Independent was briefly reviewed in its issue of July 5, 1935. The Independent was established July 1, 1914, by M. B. Royer.
Reminiscences of the high finance of Hutchinson's boom period of the 1880's were contributed by George Combs to the Hutchinson Herald July 5, 1935.
The history of Washington county's courthouse was sketched in the Hanover Herald July 5, 1935.
Early-day Sibley as recalled by Mrs. E. M. Kenyon was described in the Concordia Blade-Empire July 9, 1935. Sibley, which is now
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 401
numbered among the "dead" towns of Kansas, was situated north of Concordia.
A description of the old stone corral near a ford on the Little Arkansas river, about fifteen miles north of present Hutchinson, which sheltered emigrants traveling along the Santa Fe trail, was published in the McPherson Daily Republican July 9, 1935.
Walnut Valley Presbyterian Church history was reviewed in the Winfield Daily Courier and Independent-Record in their issues of July 11, 1935. The church, which is located north of Winfield, was organized on March 1, 1874.
Early-day Meade Center and the founding of the Meade County Globe on July 11, 1885, were recalled by Frank Fuhr in the Meade Globe-News July 11, 1935.
Geuda healing waters at Geuda Springs were known long before the advent of the white settlers, Lyman Spray reported in an article briefly reviewing the history of the springs which was published in the South Haven New Era July 11, 1935.
Reminiscences of Highland by Tobias Larson, former editor of the Highland Vidette, were printed in the Vidette July 11, 1935.
Histories of the Pratt County Council of Clubs, the Pratt Rotary Club and the Lions Club were sketched in the Pratt Daily Tribune July 12, 1935.
The significance of the "Sand Bank Convention" held at Lawrence in July, 1855, to secure a better understanding and cooperation among the different antislavery elements in Kansas history was discussed by Dr. Edward Bumgardner in the Lawrence Daily Journal World July 17, 1935.
A history of the Eskridge United Presbyterian Church, by James M. Curry, was published in the Eskridge Independent July 18, 1935. The church was organized on June 29, 1897.
The early history of Courtland was reviewed by Frank J. Fudge in The New Era, of Formoso, July 18, 1935. The city was incorporated in 1892.
A history of the Shields Methodist Episcopal Church was printed in the Dighton Herald July 18, 1935. The organization meeting was held in May, 1886, in the "Soddy" home of John Smith which was situated about one mile west of present Shields.
402 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
Sod houses and their part in the settlement of the Western prairies were discussed in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star July 18, 1935.
Names of postmasters who have served at Cheney since the town was established were published in the Cheney Sentinel July 18, 1935.
Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church near Canton observed the fiftieth anniversary of the dedication of its church building July 21, 1935. A history of the organization was sketched in the Canton Pilot July 18.
Evangelical Zion Lutheran Church, near Lanham, commonly known as the State Line Lutheran Church, celebrated its twenty-fifth anniversary July 14, 1935. A brief history of the organization was printed in the Hanover Democrat July 19.
Twenty "ghost towns" of Sumner county were named in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times July 19, 1935. The list included: Sumner, Clear Dale, Orie, Chikaskia, Hurst Crossing, Alton, Hessville, Levy, Sunset, Sunny Slope, Beverly, Rolling Green, Argyle, Littleton, Swedona, Bushnell, Missouri Flat, Guelph, Bitter Creek and Kitley.
Rice county history and a biography of the late Dan M. Bell were linked in a three-column article appearing in the Lyons Daily News July 23, 1935. In 1871 Mr. Bell was one of three men named by Gov. J. M. Harvey to serve as county commissioners to effect a permanent county organization.
The Frankfort Daily Index in its issue of July 24, 1935, briefly reviewed the history of Frankfort on the sixtieth anniversary of its organization as a third-class city.
A series of fifteen "Know Manhattan" articles is being published in the Manhattan Mercury and The Morning Chronicle in Wednesday issues. The articles, which began July 24, are mainly of a historical nature and feature writeups of Manhattan's institutions.
Osawatomie's early history was sketched in a three-column article published in The Western Spirit, of Paola, July 26, 1935.
Some of Wichita's real-estate dealers during the boom year of 1887 were named by Victor Murdock in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle July 26, 1935. The record of licenses issued to the dealers showed 924 names enrolled.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 403
The history of the Wichita Eagle was reviewed by Kent Eubank in its sixtyithird anniversary edition issued July 28, 1935.
An Indian alarm in Clark county's early history was described by Mrs. L. C. Mitchell of Creston, Iowa, in The Clark County Clipper, of Ashland, August 1, 1935. Mrs. Mitchell settled in Clark county in 1885.
The history of the St. Paul Journal was briefly sketched in its issue of August 1, 1935. The newspaper first made its appearance in Osage Mission (now St. Paul) on August 5, 1868.
Early-day Douglass and some of its citizens were recalled by Mrs. Alvah Shelden, of El Dorado, in a letter published in the Douglass Tribune August 2 and 9, 1935.
Kearny county sites of historic importance were discussed in the Lakin Independent in recent issues. John OLoughlin's store, which was opened in 1873 and was the first permanent habitation in the county, was described in the issue of August 2, 1935, and the history of Chouteau island was reviewed by Mrs. India Harris Simmons August 9. Another article by Mrs. Simmons on the Aubrey route of the Santa Fe trail was featured in the latter issue.
The history of the Eighty-ninth division was briefly reviewed in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times August 7, 1935. The division came into existence at Camp Funston, Fort Riley, August 25, 1917, with Maj. Gen. Leonard Wood as its commander. The first enlisted men arrived September 6.
A story of the Hugoton-Woodsdale fight for the county seat of Stevens county and the massacre at Wild Horse Lake in 1888 was printed in the Spearville News August 8, 1935.
The history of Elm Mills, Barber county ghost town of the late 1870's, which has now become a pleasure resort, was contributed by Pearl Richardson to the Topeka Daily Capital August 18, 1935.
A letter written by Mineus Ives in May, 1872, describing his impressions of early-day south-central Kansas was printed in Victor Murdock's front-page column in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle August 21, 1935.
The history of Enne Lutheran Church, seven miles south of Herndon, was briefly sketched in the Herndon Nonpareil August 22, 1935. The church was organized on April 27, 1885.
404 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
A three-column story of the Pony Express and a map of the trail by W. R. Honnell, of Kansas City, were published in the Kansas City Kansan August 22, 1935. The sketch shows the location of every station on the more than 2,000-mile route.
Bird City held a three-day celebration August 22, 23 and 24, 1935, in observance of its fiftieth birthday anniversary. A sod house was constructed for display at the event. Notes on the city's history were printed in the Bird City Times in issues preceding the celebration and names of pioneers registered were printed in the August 29 number.
"Some Unwritten School History," was the title of a column article contributed by Carrie Breese Chandler to the Chase County Leader, of Cottonwood Falls, August 28, 1935. Mrs. Chandler cited a letter from Sarah Romigh Anderson, of Oakland, Cal., for the earliest data. Mrs. Anderson arrived in Cottonwood Falls in the late 1850's.
A four-column resume of the drouth of 1934 by John G. Ellenbecker was printed in the Marshall County News, of Marysville, August 30, 1935.
The history of Fort Downer, in southwest Trego county, by Fern C. Callison, and "When the White Man Came," a review of the history of the Southwest, were features of the "Fair Edition" of the Dodge City Daily Globe August 31, 1935.
Excursions to Wichita in 1872 were described by Victor Murdock in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle August 31, 1935.
The route of the Leavenworth and Pike's Peak express was discussed in detail by Margaret Long in the September, 1935, issue of The Colorado Magazine, published at Denver by the State Historical Society of Colorado. The article quoted extensively from E. D. Boyd's field notes published in the Freedom's Champion of Atchison, June 25, 1859.
"Frontier Nicknames" is the title of a series of articles by George J. Remsburg listing nearly four hundred nicknames of persons prominent in western frontier history which ran in the Pony Express Courier, of Placerville, Cal., in its September, October and November, 1935, issues. Other articles of interest to Kansans include: "Historic Atchison," and "Butterfield's Overland Despatch," in the September number; "Last Financial Statement of the Pony Express," by Fred E. Sutton, in the October issue; "Maj. Gordon W.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 405
Lillie," by Jack Delysle, and "A Married Pony Express Rider [William Boulton] With Four Children," by Herb Brame, in the November number.
Plans are being made for the erection of a marker at the point where the states of Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma meet. Dolph Shaner, of Joplin, Mo., and Ira Perkins, of Galena, among others, are interested in the movement which was discussed in an article appearing in the Joplin (Mo.) Globe September 1, 1935.
Historical articles by George J. Remsburg published in recent issues of the Leavenworth Times and the date of their publication are: "Indians Commemorated by Many Names in Kansas," September 2, 1935; "A Visit to Leavenworth by John J. Ingalls in 1858," September 12; "Many Kansas Towns Were Named for Other Towns," September 15, and "Geography of Kansas Has Many Animal Names," October 24.
Mrs. Samuel Dolman's reminiscences of early-day Kansas were recorded by Eleanor Kimball in an article appearing in the Topeka State Journal September 4, 1935. Mrs. Dolman came to Kansas from Paris, Ill., in 1854.
Letters and brief biographical sketches of pioneers who were residing in Rawlins county in 1885 were published in The Citizen Patriot, of Atwood, for several months preceding the fiftieth anniversary celebration of Atwood's incorporation as a city held on September 5, 1935.
Stafford celebrated its fiftieth year as an incorporated city with an all-day celebration held September 10, 1935. Historical articles featured in the Stafford Courier's anniversary edition issued September 5 included: "Christmas Dinner in 1878 Was an Event," by S. W. McComb, "Four Homesteads in the Townsite," "Town's First Buildings Were Hotel and Store," "Four Elections to Choose County Seat," "Stafford's History Included Thirty-five Different Administrations," "Judge [G. W.] Nimocks Issued Stafford Incorporation Order at Lyons and Set Date for Election," "Bad Fires Brought City Water System," and histories of the city's churches and schools.
"Who's Who in Early Days at Wabaunsee," was the title of an article by H. E. Smith published in the Alma Signal, September 5, 1935, and the Alma Enterprise September 6. The paper, which was written for the August 25 meeting of the Wabaunsee Historical Society, was also printed in the November issue of the Wabaunsee
406 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
County Truth, of Wabaunsee. Other stories and notes on life in early-day Kansas were published in these and other Wabaunsee county papers in issues contemporaneous with the society's meeting.
The history of Friedens Lutheran Church of Home City was briefly sketched in the Marshall County News, of Marysville, September 6, 1935. The church was founded fifty years ago.
Brief biographical sketches of Brown county pioneers who have lived in the county fifty years or more are being published in the Hiawatha Daily World starting with the issue of September 6, 1935. The World has organized a "Fifty-year Club."
The history of mining in southeastern Kansas was reviewed in the seventh annual coal edition of the Pittsburg Headlight and Sun printed as a part of their issues of September 9 and 10, 1935.
A story of the Patrick Doyle family of Florence was told by A. B. MacDonald in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star September 15, 1935. Mr. Doyle homesteaded near the site of present Florence in 1859. Miss Ellen Doyle, a daughter, last of the immediate family, died recently, leaving an estate valued at one half million dollars.
Recollections of Arkansas City citizens who witnessed the Cherokee strip run on September 16, 1893, were recorded by Walter Hutchison in the Arkansas City Daily Traveler September 16, 1935.
The Leavenworth First Christian Church observed the eightieth anniversary of its founding with special services held September 22, 1935. A history of the organization was sketched in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times September 17.
Atlanta history was briefly reviewed in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle September 17, 1935. The city recently celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its founding.
The history of The Western Times, of Sharon Springs, was sketched in its issue of September 19, 1935.
"Part of Kansas, Now Colorado, Scene of Great Gold Rush in 1859," was the title of a two-column article published in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times September 19, 1935.
The sixtieth anniversary of the establishment of the Norton Church of Christ was observed September 22, 1935. The history of the organization was reviewed in the Norton Daily Telegram September 20.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 407
Topeka as it appeared in 1885 was described by C. C. Nicholson in a series of articles appearing in the Topeka Daily Capital September 22, October 6, 13 and 20, 1935.
Justice John S. Dawson, member of the executive committee of the Kansas Historical Society, was the principal speaker at the Smith county old settlers' meeting held in Smith Center, September 25, 1935. The address, which related early-day incidents of Smith county, was briefly reviewed in the Smith County Pioneer September 26.
Pioneer life as witnessed by L. T. Reese is being described in the Smith County Review, of Smith Center, in a column entitled "Incidents of Early Days in Kansas," which appears from time to time. The series was started in the issue of September 26, 1935.
The Mulberry News briefly sketched its history in its issue of September 27, 1935.
A list of Harvey county pioneer homesteaders was contributed by John C. Nicholson to the Newton Evening Kansan-Republican, September 27, 1935.
Kansas senators representing the state in the United States senate were recalled by Victor Murdock in an article published in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle September 28, 1935.
A discussion of the various movements fostered in the Northern states for the support of free-Boilers in Kansas territory was contained in an article entitled "The Rise and Fall of the Kansas Aid Movement," contributed by Dr. Ralph Volney Harlow, of Syracuse University, to The American Historical Review in its October, 1935, issue. Doctor Harlow, who is a life member of the Kansas Historical Society, is author of The Growth of the United States (1925) and A History of the United States (1934).
The first number of the South Dakota Historical Review, a new quarterly publication of the South Dakota Historical Society, of Pierre, was issued in October, 1935. The number's entire forty-eight pages were devoted to a biography of James (Scotty) Philip, pioneer South Dakota cattleman and breeder of buffalos, by George Philip, a nephew. James Philip lived in Victoria, Kan., in 1874 and 1875.
A history of the Women's City Club of Emporia was sketched in the Emporia Gazette October 1, 1935. The club was organized in 1918.
408 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
Frank S. Foster, editor of the Ellsworth Messenger, observed the "golden jubilee" of his continuous newspaper employment in Ellsworth with a two-column history of the city's newspapers, published in the Ellsworth Messenger October 3, 1935.
Salina's First Presbyterian Church held special services the week starting October 6, 1935, in observance of the seventy-fifth anniversary of its founding. A history of the organization was printed in the Salina Journal October 5, 1935.
Bellevue superior school, District No. 66 of Atchison county, celebrated its golden anniversary October 19, 1935. The history of the school was reviewed in the Atchison Daily Globe October 5.
A biography of David L. Payne, "the original Oklahoma boomer," was contributed by David D. Leahy to the Wichita Sunday Eagle October 6, 1935.
Special services commemorating the founding of the Cottonwood monthly meeting of Friends near Emporia seventy-five years ago, were held at the church on October 6, 1935. A history of the organization was published in the Emporia Gazette October 7.
The history of the Wichita Y. M. C. A. was sketched by Victor Murdock in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle October 9, 1935. The "Y" was organized on October 23, 1885.
Development of Butler county's oil industry was reviewed in detail in a forty- eight page "Twentieth Anniversary Oil Edition" issued by the El Dorado Times October 9, 1935. First drilling operations in the state, histories of El Dorado's refineries and biographies of persons prominent in the development of the industry were featured. Other articles of historic interest included a sketch of Chelsea by Mrs. Lyman Haver, the early-day experiences of Mrs. Alvah Shelden, a Butler county pioneer, and El Dorado _ telephone history.
Bethel College history was recalled in short articles published in the Newton Evening Kansan-Republican October 9, 1935, and the Journal October 10. The college was opened in 1893 with C. H. Wedel as president.
Special services were held at the Circleville Methodist Church October 6, 1935, in commemoration of the seventy-fifth anniversary of the founding of the organization. Histories of the church were printed in the Holton Recorder and the Jackson County Signal in their October 10 issues.
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 409
Dr. P. P. Trueheart reminisced on early-day Sterling in the Sterling Kansas Bulletin October 10, 1935. The town was only a few years old when Doctor Trueheart arrived in the fall of 1877.
A four-column review of the history of Southwestern College since its founding fifty years ago was contributed by Leroy Allen to the Winfield Daily Courier October 11, 1935.
County-boundary and county-seat controversies and life in the El Dorado vicinity sixty-five years ago were discussed by J. M. Satterthwaite in the Douglass Tribune October 11, 1935.
The first years of territorial government in Kansas were briefly reviewed in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star October 11, 1935. This year marks the eighty-first anniversary of the formation of Kansas as a territory.
Eighty years of history of the Topeka First Congregational Church were sketched in the Topeka Daily Capital October 13, 1935. The formal organization of the church in 1855 followed a meeting held in December, 1854, in the log cabin of A. A. Ward with the Rev. Samuel Y. Lum officiating.
A description of William Griffenstein's trading post on Cowskin creek, the site of which is eleven miles northwest from the present corner of Main and Douglas in Wichita, was published in Victor Murdock's front-page column in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle October 16, 1935. The post was built in the early 1860's.
The history of St. Joseph's Catholic Church of Olpe was briefly reviewed in the Emporia Gazette October 16, 1935. The church was founded in the spring of 1885.
St. John commemorated the fiftieth anniversary of its incorporation with special ceremonies held on October 22 and 23, 1935. The St. John News, Daily Capital and County Capital printed historical notes in their issues contemporaneous with the celebration. The News, on October 17, issued its "Golden Jubilee Edition," containing stories of the history of the city, and histories of its newspapers, churches, schools and railroad.
Histories of the Pittsburg Kansas State Teachers College, the city's churches and several of its business houses, were featured in the fifth anniversary edition of the Pittsburg Advertiser issued October 17, 1935.
410 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
A three-column history of the Betty Washington chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution of Lawrence, by Mrs. E. A. White, was published in the Lawrence Douglas County Republican October 17, 1935. The chapter was organized in October, 1896.
Solomon Methodist Church history was briefly sketched in the Solomon Tribune October 17, 1935. Its present church building was dedicated November 16, 1885.
Historical sketches of the banks of Edwards county were published in the Kinsley Graphic October 17, 1935.
The founding of the "Town of Kansas" (Kansas City, Mo.), as described in the writings of John C. McCoy, was discussed by A. B. MacDonald in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star October 20, 1935. The papers, which are filed in the Manuscript division of the Kansas Historical Society, reveal that the city dates back to a meeting of fourteen persons held on the site November 14, 1838, when a townsite company was organized.
A history of Golden Rule lodge No. 90, A. F. & A. M., of North Topeka, was sketched in the Topeka Daily Capital October 21, 1935. The lodge was organized on February 18, 1870.
The Dodge City Daily Globe celebrated the recent removal of its equipment to a larger building with the issuance of a 34-page "New Home" number on October 22, 1935. A review of the Globe's history, by Jay B. Baugh, and pictures of present staff members were published. Other historical features included articles describing early days in Hamilton county as recalled by Murray A. Davis and a discussion of Kearny county's historic sites.
A history of the Liberal Business and Professional Women's Club was reviewed in detail in a special twelve-page edition of the Liberal News issued October 26, 1935.
Wichita high school history was briefly sketched in the Wichita Sunday Eagle October 27, 1935.
Fifty years ago, on October 30, the late Frank Pitts MacLennan took possession of the Topeka Daily Journal property in Topeka. Celebrating the golden anniversary of this occasion the Topeka State Journal issued a 150-page anniversary edition, carefully compiled, excellently arranged and printed, which was replete with historical articles of interest to Kansans. Included in these 150 pages was a ten-page rotogravure section which contrasted Topeka
KANSAS HISTORY IN THE PRESS 411
scenes of 1885 with those of 1935. Titles of some of the more prominent articles were: "Fifty Years of Official Life in Kansas," by Lucy B. Johnston, wife of former Chief Justice William A. Johnston of the Kansas Supreme court; "Topeka Laid Out on a Prairie Ridge Rather Than by Use Compass," by Oscar Swayze; "Education in Kansas," by Dr. W. A. Seward Sharp; "Blue Sky Law Named After Drouth," by J. N. Dolley; "Did You Know That Two Prominent Citizens Once Arranged Pistol Duel?" by Thomas F. Doran; "Oscar Swayze a Pace-Maker for A. Capper, a Garnett Youngster"; "Many Famous Kansans Were Active in Politics Here Fifty Years Ago," by A. L. Shultz; "Governors of Kansas," by T. A. McNeal; "Personalities of Topeka," by Charles M. Sheldon; "Dramatic Story of Topeka's Founding in Holliday Letters," by Kirke Mechem; "Justice Hutchison in Story of Old Days When Guns, Statutes Mixed"; "City of Topeka 81 Years of Age on December 5," by T. G. Wear; "Strong Body of Lawyers in 1885," by Edwin A. Austin; "From 15 to 185 Miles of Water Mains Since 'S8," by Arthur J. Carruth, III; "Sixty Years of Topeka Typographical Union No. 121," by W. T. Luce; "Col. J. W. F. Hughes Tells Inside Story of Famous Lewelling's War of '93," by Frank K. Tiffany; "Recollections of the Kansas Historical Society," by George A. Root; "Kansas Legion Was Born in St. Louis Hotel," by Ernest A. Ryan; "H. 0. Garvey's Father Published the First Newspaper in Topeka," by H. 0. Garvey; "Washburn Professor Brought First 'Phone to Topeka in Fall '77," by T. G. Wear; "Tom McNeal's First Job as Reporter on Journal," by T. A. McNeal; "Hotel Clerk's Comment Changed Name of Onago to the `Onaga' of Today," by Dr. R. C. Leinbach, of Onaga; "Eugene Town First Name of North Topeka," by Eleanor Kimball; "Topeka Weather Summary 1878 to 1935"; "Harry Gavitt Recalls Fred Stone's First Job With Circus in Topeka"; "Billard Family Lived in Dugout Here Before the Founding of Topeka," by John W. Jarrell; "Oscar Wilde Nearly Killed While Here on a Visit 50 Years Ago," by A. K. Wilson; "Evolution of Fourth Estate in Kansas in the Last Thirty Years," by Henry C. Sticker, and "Intimate Story of MacLennan Family," by Ed. C. MacLennan. Other features included biographical sketches and reminiscences of pioneers and letters from present Topeka citizens. Histories of Topeka's schools; colleges; railroads; churches; social agencies; theaters; sports; clubs; fraternal organizations; fire department; library; banks; life insurance companies and many other business institutions, together with lists
412 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
of Topeka's business and professional men of 1885, city officials and officials of several Shawnee county departments to date were published. Stories of the establishment of the Topeka State Journal, origin of the name Topeka, floods and earthquakes in the state, mining and the oil and gas industry in Kansas, Kansas' judicial system, the Masonic Lodge of Kansas, steamboats on the Kaw river, and Potwin history; special articles on the origin of Topeka's laws, by W. C. Ralston, and early days in Kansas and the West as told in letters of A. B. Walker, were printed.
Over four hundred ferries have been operated in Kansas, Cecil Howes reported in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star November 6, 1935. Figures showing the number of ferries licensed on each stream were supplied by George A. Root, of the Kansas Historical Society, who has been writing a series of articles on this subject for The Kansas Historical Quarterly.
A brief history of the Madura Congregational Church of Wakefield was published in the Wakefield News November 6, 1935. The church became Congregational on November 10, 1875.
Some large trees grown in Kansas were discussed by Dr. Edward Bumgardner in the Lawrence Daily Journal-World November 6, 1935.
John McBee, statehouse guide at Topeka, reminisced on the Indian wars of the latter 1860's in an article published in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times November 12, 1935. Mr. McBee was a member of the Nineteenth Kansas cavalry.
"Murder of Charles Dow Eighty Years Ago Almost Started War in Eastern Kansas," was the title of an article contributed by Cecil Howes to the Kansas City (Mo.) Times November 16, 1935. Mr. Dow was killed south of Lawrence, on November 21, 1855.