Kansas Historical Quarterly - Notes - May 1933
(Vol. 2, No. 2), pages 223 to 224
Transcribed by lhn;
digitized with permission of the Kansas Historical Society.
Newly elected officers of the Kansas History Teachers' Association which met at the Pittsburg Kansas State Teachers College March 25, 1933, are: F. H. Hodder, Kansas University, president; S. A. Johnson, Kansas State Teachers College, Emporia, vice president; Fred L. Parrish, Kansas State College, Manhattan, secretary-treasurer, and Edwin McRaynolds, Coffeyville Junior College, member of the executive committee. Hodder succeeds O. F. Grubbs of the Pittsburg college as president.
At the December, 1932, election of the Cowley County Historical Society the following officers were reelected: Mrs. J. P. Baden, president; A. M. Rehwinkel, vice president; Mrs. Alfred Diescher, treasurer, and E. A. Wolfram, secretary and curator. The society was organized October 26, 1931, and reported thirty members enrolled at the close of 1932. A list of the year's accessions was published in the Winfield Daily Courier, December 13.
The Kiowa County Historical Society has 236 members enrolled on its scroll of charter members. The organization has placed a show case in the lobby of the courthouse at Greensburg for museum pieces.
Edna Nyquist, secretary of the McPherson County Historical and Archeological Society, has compiled a 184-page book entitled Pioneer Life and Lore of McPherson County, Kansas. The Democrat Opinion Press, McPherson, was the publisher.
A Douglas County Historical Society was organized at Lawrence in March, 1933.
The Kansas Magazine was revived for the third time on January 29, 1933, with a notable array of Kansas authors, poets and artists contributing. R. I. Thackrey, editor, hopes to publish it annually. The magazine was established in January, 1872, under the editorship of Capt. Henry King and James W. Steele, with subsequent revivals in 1886, 1909 and again in 1933.
A testimonial dinner was given March 1, 1933, at Douglass, in honor of J. M. Satterthwaite, publisher of the Douglass Tribune. Mr. Satterthwaite, who was a member of the Kansas legislature for sixteen years, has just completed a half century as editor of the
224 THE KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
Tribune. Prominent Kansas- editors and state leaders were in attendance.
Kirke Mechem, secretary of the Kansas Historical Society, addressed the Women's Civic Center Club of Hutchinson, January 27, 1933, on the work of the Society.
The fourth annual Kansas Day reunion of the Cheyenne County Pioneers of Kansas was held at Bird City, January 29, 1933.
Markers were erected in Council Grove and Dodge City February 22, 1933, locating the National Old Trails route which follows the general direction of the Santa Fe trail through Kansas. The route runs as U. S. highway 50 and 50N from Kansas City to Larned, as Kansas highway 37 from Larned to Kinsley, as U. S. highway 50S from Kinsley through Dodge City to Garden City, and as U. S. highway 50 to La Junta, Colo.
The Bethany College museum has been reassembled on the first floor of the Main building in Lindsborg. Formerly the collection was scattered in various buildings over the campus. Indian relics and fossils, representative of western Kansas "finds," are among the collections on display. Dr. J. A. Udden was the founder of the museum.
A private collection of southwestern historical relics is being brought together by Merritt and Otero Beeson at the Merritt Beeson home in Dodge City.
The road leading to the summit of Coronado Heights, three miles northwest of Lindsborg, has been improved this winter. The Lindsborg Historical Society is the lease-holder of this historic site thought to have been visited by Coronado.