Kansas State Capitol - Dome Tours
Dome tours may be canceled due to extreme heat conditions during the summer months. Please call 785-296-3966 for inquiries.
The Kansas State Capitol dome tours are scheduled at 9:15, 10:15, 11:15 a.m., 12:15, 1:15, 2:15, 3:15 p.m. Monday through Friday.
This spectacular tour is breathtaking—literally—with 296 steps and no elevator. The elaborate architecture is highlighted with close up views of the inner and outer domes. The summit offers a unique perspective of the city of Topeka. Participants who reach the cupola earn bragging rights. Souvenir merchandise is available in the Capitol Store on ground level. To schedule a tour contact 785-296-3966 or email@example.com.
- Tours last approximately 40 minutes
- Cost is free during scheduled times
- Maximum group size is 30
- Reservations are accepted
- Walk-up visitors will be accommodated as space is available.
The tour’s 296 steps to the top of the dome include a series of straight, steep, narrow, spiral, and irregularly spaced landings and stairs. There are no rest areas, seats, or restrooms available on the tour route.
It is recommended that persons with heart, back, neck, knee, acrophobia (a fear of heights), or breathing problems, as well as those with a disability that may prevent them from walking unaided (cane, walker, etc.) should not participate in the tour.
Due to its physical challenges, the tour is not recommended for small children or women who are pregnant. Children must be four years or older.
- Proceed slowly and single file up and down the stairs and act responsibly while on tour
- Stay with your group at all times
- Leaning on railings is not permitted
- Pay close attention to your immediate surroundings
- No large-heeled shoes will be allowed
- Speak quietly in the dome
- Do not drop items over the railing
- Do not write on any dome surface
- Inform guides at any point if you do not wish to proceed
These rules will be strictly enforced for everyone’s safety and enjoyment.
The Kansas Historical Society does not discriminate on the basis of disability in admission to, access to, or operation of its programs. Prior notification is requested to accommodate individuals with special needs or disabilities.
Dome tour brochure (PDF)