Kansas State Capitol - History
Located on 20 acres in downtown Topeka, the Kansas State Capitol is the state's most important architectural treasure. The site was donated through the efforts of Cyrus K. Holliday, president of the early Topeka Town Company and one of the founders of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway.
Construction began after the east wing cornerstone was laid October 17, 1866. The brown stone selected for construction did not harden sufficiently. Following a harsh winter in 1867, the cornerstone and foundation of the wing crumbled. Harder limestone from Geary County was used to replace the foundation and continue construction on the wing. The west wing Limestone from Cottonwood Falls was selected for use elsewhere in the construction. Construction on the north and south wings began in 1883.
Construction on the Capitol took 37 years; the building was officially completed March 24, 1903. The total cost was $3,200,588.92.