Kansas State Capitol - Online tour - Dome video
Dome tours will once again be available beginning January 2, 2014. This video was created by WIBW-TV, Topeka, before construction closed the tours.
- The state legislature approved the dome in 1881 and the construction began in 1885.
- There are 296 steps leading up from the fifth floor to the top of the dome.
- The bronze statue of the Kansa warrior, Ad Astra, was placed on top of the dome in 2002. It is 22 feet and 2 inches tall and weighs 4,420 pounds.
- The outer copper dome extends approximately 75 feet above this inner dome.
- The new copper sheeting covering the outer dome may eventually turn green when it oxidizes. It took the original copper several years to turn green.
- The inner dome is composed of glass panels.