Kansas State Capitol - Online Tour - Statue of Liberty
Located in the northwest quadrant of Capitol Square, this small version of Lady Liberty was one of 200 donated by the Boy Scouts of America. The statues were created to celebrate the 40th anniversary of scouting in America. Boy Scouts across Kansas saved their pennies to finance the statue, reported by the Topeka State Journal to cost between $600-$800 dollars. Governor Frank Carlson accepted the statue on April 29, 1950, at a celebration including speeches by visiting dignitaries, parades, a fighter jet fly-over, and a band concert on the statehouse lawn.