Read Kansas! Middle School - M-20 Cowboys, Cattle Drives, and Kansas
In this lesson students will learn the reasons for the cattle drives in post-Civil War Kansas. Students will read a series of historic images then place them in sequential order to tell the story of a cattle drive. This lesson is written for one class period.
To view a PDF of the front and back, click on the card.
Kansas History, Government and Social Studies Standards:
Standard #4 Societies experience continuity and change over time.
- 4.2 The student will analyze the context of continuity and change and the vehicles of reform, drawing conclusions about past change and potential future change.
Kansas College and Career Ready Standards:
- RH.6-8.1: The student cites specific textual evidence to support analysis of primary and secondary sources.
- RH.6-8.2: The student determines the central ideas of information of a primary or secondary source, provides an accurate summary of the source distinct from prior knowledge or opinions.
- RH.6-8.7: The student integrates visual information (e.g., in charts, graphs, photographs, videos, or maps) with other information in print and digital texts.
- WHST.6-8.4: The student produces clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
- SL.7.4: The student presents claims and findings, emphasizing salient points in a focused, coherent manner with pertinent descriptions, facts, details, and examples; use appropriate eye contact, adequate volume, and clear pronunciation.