Read Kansas! Middle School - M-27 Votes for Women!
This lesson is designed to introduce students to historic primary sources created during the fight for women's suffrage. Students analyze a primary source about women's suffrage in Kansas and the United States and complete a reading worksheet to explain it to the class. The lesson is designed to take one day.
To view a PDF of the front and back, click on the card.
Kansas History, Government and Social Studies Standards:
Standard #2 Individuals have rights and responsibilities.
- 2.2: The student will analyze the context under which significant rights and responsibilities are defined and demonstrated, their various interpretations, and draw conclusions about those interpretations.
Kansas College and Career Ready Standards:
- RH.6-8.1: The student will cite specific textual evidence to support analysis of primary and secondary sources.
- RH.6-8.6: The student will identify aspects of a text that reveal an author's point of view or purpose (e.g., loaded language, inclusion or avoidance of particular facts).
- W.7.2(a-f): The student will write informative-explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas, concepts, and information through the selection, organization, and analysis of relevant content.
- SL.7.1(a-d): The student will engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 7 topics, texts, and issues, building on others' ideas and expressing their own clearly.