Read Kansas! Middle School - M-28 Populism and Governor Lewelling
This middle level lesson provides a brief background of the rise of the People's Party or Populism and focuses on the role this party played in helping Kansans in need. Students will analyze primary source documents including a letter from a farmer's wife and Governor Lorenzo Lewelling's Executive Circular. If students have previous knowledge of Populism, the teacher may choose not to use "The Populist Party" card with the lesson. This would shorten the lesson from two days to one.
To view a PDF of the front and back, click on the card.
Kansas History, Geography and Social Studies Standards
Standard #4: Societies experience continuity and change over time.
- 4.1: The student will recognize and evaluate continuity and change over time and its impact on individuals, institutions, communities, states, and nations.
- 4.3: The student will investigate an example of continuity and/or change and connect that continuity and/or change to a contemporary issue. (possible extension)
Kansas College and Career Ready Standards:
- RH.6-8.2: The student determines the central ideas or information of a primary or secondary source; provides an accurate summary of the source distinct from prior knowledge or opinions.
- RH.6-8.4: The student determines the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including vocabulary specific to domains related to history/social studies.
- RH.6-8.5: The student describes how a text presents information (e.g., sequentially, comparatively, causally).
- W.7.10: The student will write routinely over extended time frames (time for research, refection, and revision) and short time frames (a single sitting or a day or two) for a range of discipline-specific tasks, purposes, and audiences.
- SL.7.1 (a-d): The student will engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 7 topics, texts, and issues, building on others' ideas and expressing their own clearly.