Read Kansas! Middle School - M-34 A New Deal for Kansas
In the 1930s Kansans experienced the compounded effects of the depression and the Dust Bowl. New Deal programs were implemented to combat these problems. In this lesson students will study one New Deal program, Rural Electrification Administration(REA). Students will use the SOAP (source, occasion, audience, purpose) graphic organizer with historic images to understand the cause and effect of the REA program on Kansas life. This lesson is designed to take one class period.
To view a PDF of the front and back, click on the card.
- Benchmark 5, Indicator 4: The student summarizes the effects of New Deal programs on Kansas life.
- Benchmark 4, Indicator 5: The student uses information from the text to make inferences and draw conclusions.
- Benchmark 2, Indicator 1: The student develops one main idea and/or a thesis statement in response to a prompt.
Kansas College and Career Ready Standards:
- RH.6-8.1: The student cites specific textual evidence to support analysis of primary and secondary sources.
- WHST.6-8.1(a-e): The student writes arguments focused on discipline-specific content.