Read Kansas! Middle School - M-42 Social Exploration in Kansas
This lesson will focus on the social changes that occurred during the period of contact and trade between American Indians and Spanish, French, and American explorers. Students will use a variety of primary source documents to compare and contrast these changes to the American Indian society pre-and post-European contact. This lesson is designed to take one or two class periods.
To view a PDF of the front and back, click on the card.
Kansas History, Government and Social Studies Standards:
Standard #4 Societies experience continuity and change over time.
- 4.1: The student will recognize and evaluate continuity and change over time and its impact on individuals, institutions, communities, states, and nations.
Kansas College and Career Ready Standards:
- RI.7.1: The student cites several pieces of textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
- RH.6-8.5: The student describes how a text presents information (e.g., sequentially, comparatively, causally).
- RH.6-8.7: The student will integrate visual information (e.g., in charts, graphs, photographs, videos, or maps) with other information in print and digital texts.
- W.7.4: The student will produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
- SL.7.1(a-d): The student will engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 7 topics, texts, and issues, building on others ' ideas and expressing their own clearly.
- SL.7.4: The student will present claims and findings, emphasizing salient points in a focused, coherent manner with pertinent descriptions, facts, details, and examples; use appropriate eye contact, adequate volume, and clear pronunciation.
- SL. 7.5: The student will include multimedia components and visual displays in presentations to clarify claims and findings and emphasize salient points.