Read Kansas! Primary - P-10 Kansans On the Move
The purpose of this lesson is to have second grade students investigate five forms of transportation used in Kansas in the past and present. Students will locate information and complete a chart to compare and contrast the five forms of transportation. They will use the information in the chart to create their own postcard about one form of transportation. The lesson is designed to take five class periods but can be adjusted to meet individual teacher’s needs.
Spanish translations for each card have been provided by students in the Spanish classes of Roberto Barrera, Fredonia High School.
To view a PDF of the front and back of each image, click on the card.
Kansas Standards for History, Government and Social Studies:
Standard #3: Societies are shaped by beliefs, ideas, and diversity.
- 3.1: The student will recognize and evaluate significant beliefs, contributions, and ideas of the many diverse peoples and groups and their impact on individuals, communities, states, and nations.
Kansas College and Career Readiness Standards:
- RF 2.4.a: The student will read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension and read on-level text with purpose and understanding.
- W 2.2: The student will write informative/explanatory texts in which they introduce a topic, use facts and definitions to develop points, and provide a concluding statement or section.
- SL 2.1(a-c): The student will participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 2 topics and text with peers and adults in small and larger groups.
- SL 4.4: The student reports on a topic or text, tells a story, or recounts an experience in an organized manner, using appropriate facts and relevant descriptive detains to support main ideas or themes; speak clearly at an understandable pace.
- L 2.2: The student will demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.