Read Kansas! Primary - P-12 Immigration: Marijana's Story
The purpose of this lesson is to introduce second graders the idea of immigration, which is basic knowledge needed to study history and geography at more advanced levels. The students will read a story about a Croatian immigrant community in Kansas. They will answer basic questions that will aid in the understanding of this concept, and they will write a caption for an illustration that includes feelings and thoughts about the topic. The lesson is divided into two parts with the possibility of an extended activity but can be adjusted to meet individual classroom needs.
To view a PDF of the front and back of the card, click on the image.
Second Grade Kansas History Standards:
- Benchmark 2, Indicator 2: The student defines immigration and gives past and present examples from Kansas.
Second Grade Reading Standards:
- Benchmark 4, Indicator 5: The student uses illustrations, text, and prior knowledge to make inferences and draw conclusions.
Second Grade Writing Standards:
- Benchmark 2, Indicator 12: The student writes feelings and thoughts about the topic with the purpose of informing the reader. (Voice: prewriting, drafting, revising: N,E,T)
Kansas College and Career Ready Standards (Common Core ELA):
- RI.2.7: The student explains how specific images (e.g., a diagram showing how a machine works) contribute to and clarify a text.
- W.2.3: The student writes narratives in which they recount a well-elaborated event or short sequence of events, include details to describe actions, thoughts, and feelings, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide a sense of closure.
Purchase Price - with lesson plan $4; without lesson plan $3. Place an order.
For an additional activity visit the online exhibit Marijana: My The People's Painter.