Read Kansas! Primary - P-3 Kansas Symbols Bingo
This kindergarten lesson introduces eight Kansas symbols through short expository texts that are read to the students. The lesson encourages class discussions of the texts. A Kansas symbols poem is used in an echo reading exercise. The lesson also includes a Kansas Symbols Bingo game to reinforce the students’ knowledge of Kansas state symbols. The lesson is presented to be used over five days, but can be adjusted to meet specific class schedules.
To view a PDF of the front and back of each image, click on the card.
Kindergarten Kansas History Standards:
- Benchmark 3, Indicator 4: The student recognizes important Kansas state symbols (e.g., state bird—meadowlark; state flower—sunflower; state animal—buffalo).
Kindergarten Reading Standards:
- Benchmark 2, Indicator 3: The student imitates the rhythm of speech in emergent oral reading.
- Benchmark 4, Indicator 1: The student participates in discussions about narrative and expository texts read to them. (Focus in this lesson is on expository texts.)
Kansas College and Career Ready Standards (Common Core ELA):
- RF.K.3a: The student knows and applies grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words--a. demonstrates basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
- RI.K.1: The student with prompting and support, asks and answers questions about key details in a text.