Red Rocks - Memorial tour
William Allen White Memorial Drive
In addition to visiting Red Rocks State Historic Site, you are invited to continue along the White Memorial Drive to other related sites. The Memorial Drive was established in 1955 by the William Allen White Emporia Memorial Foundation. For more information call the Emporia Area Chamber of Commerce and Convention & Visitors Bureau, toll free at 800-279-3730, or 620-342-1803.
902 Exchange Street
A replacement for the Union School which Mary White attended, this building was constructed in 1950, after White's death, and named by its students. Its lobby contains several photographs of White and his family. Visitors are welcome.
Emporia State University, corner of 12th Avenue and Merchant Street
This building serves the informational needs of students and faculty at Emporia State University, and houses its School of Library and Information Management.
The William Allen White Collection contains books, manuscripts, correspondence, photographs, and other materials about the editor.
The Mary White Collection of picture books for children honors White's daughter, who was killed in a horseback riding accident in 1921 at age 16. It includes school work, photographs, and memorabilia.
Every year since 1952, the children of Kansas have chosen, by vote from master lists, books to receive the William Allen White Children's Book Award. The winning books are on display.
Visitors are welcome. Call 620-341-5037 to arrange a tour.
White Memorial Park
6th Avenue and Merchant Street
This midtown park commemorates the contributions of not only William Allen White but also of his son, William Lindsay White. A bust of William Lindsay White (1900-1973) sculpted by Anne Darrow is the main featured of the park, which also includes selections of writings by the two men. Old fashioned park benches and street lamps, as well as plantings, make this a pleasant place for reflection.
517 Merchant Street
The newspaper remains a publication of the White Corporation more than 100 years after White purchased it in 1895. It is operated by his granddaughter and her husband, Barbara and David Walker. In 1995 his great-grandson, Christopher White Walker, joined the Gazette staff as assistant publisher and now serves as editor and publisher. The exterior of the building has been remodeled through the years, yet the character of the building and newspaper remain intact, and White's presence is still found within. Visitors are welcome to browse in a small museum of old newspaper printing equipment inside. Please call ahead, 620-342-4800.
William Allen White Bust and Memorial
Peter Pan Park, south Rural Street and Kansas Avenue
The Whites gave this 52-acre park to the city in memory of their daughter. On the southeast edge of Peter Pan Lake is the memorial, which was dedicated on July 11, 1950, by former President Herbert Hoover. It features a bronze bust, sculpted by Jo Davidson, flanked by plaques engraved with White's famous, moving editorial eulogy, "Mary White."