Reflections - Winter 2015
The Kansas Historical Society’s programs touch every corner of the state. This issue of Reflections, a member benefit of the Kansas Historical Foundation, focuses on Ellis County. Read Reflections, Winter 2015 (PDF).
- Reminders of the ancient sea that once covered the area through post rock.
- Once prime hunting ground for Plains Indians.
- Westward expansion after the discovery of gold in Colorado.
- Overland trails crossed the area.
- Military posts were established to guard workers on the rail lines.
- Railroads brought immigrants to farm the rich lands.
In this issue:
Clues to Civilian
Life at Fort Hays
Germans from Russia
Walter Chrysler in Kansas
|Leona Pfeifer on German dialects||Leona Pfeifer on wedding traditions|
Explore more of Ellis County