Using the research room - Using our collections
There is no fee for using our research collections, but please stop at the reference desk to register and ask for help. Our reference staff will be happy to assist you throughout your visit. If you need access assistance or auxiliary aids and services please contact the Historical Society prior to your visit if possible.
- Collections on microfilm include Kansas newspapers, some county and state records, and manuscripts. These are stored in the research room, and they, along with some reference books, are self-service.
- All other collections are kept in closed storage and pulled by our pages. We do not check out any of our collections, although microfilm can be loaned to Kansas libraries.
- Researchers should search both our card catalogs and online catalogs to identify the items they need. The staff will show you how to fill out and submit call slips to the retrieval desk; staff will bring the items to you at the reading tables in the middle of the room.
- If you would like to order photocopies from paper items, request them at the retrieval desk and the staff will make the copies for you. (See our prices.) If there are a large number of photocopy requests, it may be necessary for us to complete your copies after you have left and email digital files to you.
- We allow the use of digital cameras without flash by researchers, but please ask staff first for instructions on handling the materials while you photograph them.
- Self-service coin-operated reader-printers are available to make copies from microfilm for 25 cents per page. The retrieval desk staff can make change for the copiers.
The following links provide additional information about using the research room: