The Kansas Historical Society's headquarters are located at the site of the Potawatomi Mission. Built in 1847, the mission was operated as a boarding school for children of the Potawatomi and other native people who had been forced west by the federal government in the 1830s.
While the mission is closed to the public, it is located on the Historical Society's 2.5 nature trail. Near the mission are picnic tables and a playground.
This one-room school is on the Historical Society's nature trail.