Ancestry.com for Kansans
The Kansas Historical Society partners with Ancestry.com to make records available via the Internet. Ancestry has digitized the records from the State Archives listed below. Access to these records is free to Kansans who verify their residence using their driver’s license or state ID card information.
Since we do not save any of the data you provide to receive access to the Kansas records page on Ancestry, you will need to re-register each time you want to do a search.
Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. NOTE: Full access to the library edition of Ancestry is available in the Historical Society's State Archives research room.
Records currently available free through the Kansas resident portal:
- Kansas State Census Records (1865-1925—taken every 10 years for years ending in "5")
- Kansas Territorial Census Records (1855, 1856, 1857, 1858, 1859)
- Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Prior Service Records Index, 1859-1935
- Kansas Naturalization Abstracts, 1864-1972
- Kansas Vital Records Abstracts, 1854-1989
- Russell County, Kansas, Newspaper and Vital Records Index, 1869-1949 (J. C. Ruppenthal Collection)
- Enlistment Papers of Kansas Volunteer Regiments, 1862, 1863, 1868
- Veterans Enrollment, 1889 (Union veterans living in Kansas)
Grand Army of the Republic (Civil War Union Veterans)
- Annual Post Reports, 1880-1940
- Bound Post Records, 1866-1931
- Fort Riley Hospital Muster Rolls, 1855-1902
- United Spanish-American War Veterans, Reports of Deaths, 1945-1970 (TAPS)
World War I
- Camp Funston Military Records, 1914-1919
- Veterans Enrollment, 1930 (veterans living in Kansas)
Kansas Veterans, 1917-1919, Manuscript Collection no. 49
Information on Kansas soldiers in World War I, primarily members of the 35th and 89th Divisions. Items solicited from each veteran or his family included letters, especially from overseas; a photograph; and a brief biography containing date and place of birth, residence, parents' names, occupation, and names of spouse and children. The amount of information in each file varies.
Ancestry has also ingested these databases from the KSHS web site:
Population Schedules: Counties, 1953-1978
Population Schedules: Cities, 1919-1961
Agricultural Statistical Rolls, ca. 1873-1984
WWI Enlistment and Discharge Records, 1917-1919
United Spanish War Veterans Records, 1898-ca. 1975.
Military History Collection (19th Cavalry)
City Directories (selected)