Jump to Navigation

As Published - May 1946

May 1946 (Vol. 14 No. 2), pages 234 to 237.
Transcribed by lhn;
digitized with permission of the Kansas Historical Society.

A sketch of the early history of the first school at Scandia, established in 1870, was published in the Scandia Journal, January 4, 1945. Most of the article was written by P. T. Strom, one of the pupils of the first school and now a resident of Republic.

"Early History of Waterville" is the title of an article by Mrs. Lena Edwards comprising her recollections of that community since 1878. It appeared in the Waterville Telegraph, May 10, 1945.

The teacher and pupils of the West Kennebec school, Russell county, in 1909-1912, have formed an association to hold annual reunions and have opened the membership to all persons interested in Kennebec community. OffIcers are: Ferdinand Deines, president; William G. Boxberger, vice-president; Fred Michel, secretary; Mrs. Edward Morgenstern, treasurer. The first settler in Kennebec community was R. B. Landon, who built the first house between Russell and Great Bend, according to an article in the Russell Record, July 5, 1945.

H. P. Tripp's column, "Memories of Early Days," has appeared from time to time during the past several years in the Luray Herald. Some of the most recent dates on which the column was published were August 30, September 6, 27, December 13, 1945, and February 7, 1946.

A historical sketch of the Thayer "Home-Coming Picnic" held each fall since 1912 was published in the Thayer News, September 6, 1945. The article was written by the Harry Minnich family.

Four historical articles appeared in the September 13, 1945, issue of the Marion Record-Review which celebrated the seventy-fifth anniversary of the founding of the newspaper now edited by Wharton Hoch and Mildred Hunt Riddle. One sketch traces the history of the publication. "Charley Jones, Last of the Famous Cowboys of the Fabulous Crane's Ranch" is the title of another, by Lucy Burkholder. The other two articles are part of a series by Mrs. T. B. Matlock entitled "Narratives Incident To Life As It Was And People As They Were On Our Frontier." Their titles are: "Alex E. Case" and "The First Caravan." Other articles of the Matlock series and the dates of publication are: "Billings," August 2; "Brumbaugh," August 30; "Kentuckians Arrive," November 15; "Christ



mas in the Sixties," December 20, and "The Moulton's Arrive in the Sixties," February 7, 1946.

The restoration of the main building of the old Iowa, Sauk and Fox Indian mission, built two miles northeast of present Highland in 1846, was described in an article by Hester Potter in the Topeka Daily Capital, December 9, 1945. The story states that the first marriage ceremony in Kansas was read at the mission, although no date was given. Since the Rev. and Mrs. Samuel M. Irvin arrived in 1837 to establish the mission, this marriage obviously could not have taken place before that date. Records of three marriages in present Kansas in June, 1830, at a house near the Marmaton river somewhere in the vicinity of present Fort Scott, and another marriage in 1834 near present St. Paul were pointed out by W. W. Graves, author of Annals of Osage Mission, in a letter in the Daily Capital, December 18, 1945. Record of the 1830 marriages also is cited in the Rev. Gilbert J. Garraghan's The Jesuits of the Middle United States (v. 1, p. 194). Two Frenchmen married Osage women and a half-breed married an Osage woman. Graves states that the marriage in 1834 of a half-breed and a daughter of the United States' interpreter at the Osage agency by the founder of the Boudinot Mission, Presbyterian, was recorded in a letter published in the Missionary Herald, Boston, July, 1834.

December 21, 1945, marked the fiftieth anniversary of the Hartford Times. The paper has been edited and published continuously at Hartford by A. S. Bernheisel. It was issued as the Neosho Valley Times until 1927 when the name was changed to the Hartford Times. The editor presented a sketch of his experiences and a history of the paper in the anniversary issue.

An article, "A History of the Indian Missions of the Presbyterian Church in Kansas," by David Harold McCleave, was featured in the 1944-1945 number of The Aerend, published by the Fort Hays Kansas State College, of Hays. Mission Neosho, opened among the Osages in present Neosho county in 1824, was the first. A series of articles by W. W. Graves entitled "History of Neosho County," which began publication in the St. Paul Journal, June 3, 1943, continued from time to time until the fall of 1945. Some of the subheads in recent months were: "The County Seat Election," "Railroads of Neosho County," and "How Chanute Was Located."

Tributes to the late John G. Ellenbecker of Marysville, the widely-known historian of the Oregon and Pony Express trail, were printed


in the January, 1946, issue of the magazine, The Pony Express, of Placerville, Cal.

The story of Jefferson territory, including its provisional government and its transportation and mails, was briefly reviewed by H. Parker Johnson in the January, 1946, issue of The American Philatelist, Federalsburg, Md. Photographs of covers carried by the Express companies serving Denver and vicinity during 1859-1861 illustrated the article. Jefferson territory was organized by the citizens of the Pike's Peak gold region in 1859 when it was a part of Kansas territory. The provisional government was never officially recognized by congress, however.

The Kansas City Kansan observed its twenty-fifth birthday January 31, 1946, with a 68-page anniversary edition featuring historical articles and photographs. Views included a picture of the old Portsmouth building, landmark at Sixth street and Minnesota avenue, razed in 1925, together with the south entrance of the old Sixth street tunnel under Minnesota avenue, and a 1933 picture of Nation hall, 626 Central avenue, which the newspaper said was built by Carry A. Nation in 1902 during her crusade against liquor. A sketch of highway development in Wyandotte county, the story of the founding of the new daily Kansan by Arthur Capper, and a list of 60 new church buildings erected since World War I appeared in the issue.

A historical sketch of Nemaha county by Judge L. S. Slocum was published in The Courier-Tribune, of Seneca, February 4, 7 and 11, 1946. The sketch included names of first settlers, a compilation of early marriages, and also described the first railroads, early towns and county-seat contests.

The part played by Winfield residents in World War II is described in a 56-page "Achievement Edition" issued by the Winfield Daily Courier, February 11, 1946. The issue lists more than 2,200 Winfield and north Cowley county men and women who served in the armed forces, and contains a historical sketch of Strother field, where air cadets received their basic flying training. Among other features are sections on food production and education.

Women teachers who taught in the Rooks county schools prior to 1900 were listed in the Rooks County Record, Stockton, February 14, 1946. The teachers were guests at a tea given by Delta Kappa Gamma January 29 at Stockton. Women teachers who


taught in Russell county prior to 1905 were similarly honored by Delta Kappa Gamma at Russell, February 16. Names of the pioneer teacher guests were printed in the Russell Record and The Russell County News, February 21.

Stories of two former Kansas families, J. Lill and Will M. Bender, were published in the Panhandle (Tex.) Herald, February 15 and March 15, 1946, as part of a series of articles entitled, "Pioneer Families of Panhandle."

The famous "Sheldon edition" of the Topeka Daily Capital in March, 1900, was described in newspaper articles on the death of Dr. Charles Monroe Sheldon February 24, 1946. Articles in the Daily Capital, February 25 and Kansas City (Mo.) Times February 26 recalled that circulation soared to nearly 370,000 during the week the Topeka minister edited the newspaper. Dr. Sheldon was the author of In His Steps and 37 other books. In His Steps is still a best seller after 50 years, second only to the Bible in sales throughout the world. Obituaries of Dr. Sheldon also appeared in the Topeka State Journal and other papers.

Mrs. Minnie Stiefel, Saline county native and daughter of August Bondi who settled in eastern Kansas in 1855, celebrated her seventy-fifth birthday anniversary February 21. An article on the life of Mrs. Stiefel and the Bondi family was printed in the Salina Journal, February 26. Bondi joined the Free-State minute men in 1856 and was at the battle of Osawatomie.

Vernard Vogt's reminiscences of the publication of the Moundridge Journal were related in its issue of February 28, 1946. Vogt acquired the paper in 1926.

A story of institutional research and the establishment of the "Mellon Institute-Its Organization and Management," was told by Dr. Edward R. Weidlein, director, in the March, 1946, issue of the Transactions of the Kansas Academy o f Science, Lawrence. The institute was organized in Pittsburgh in 1910 by Dr. Robert Kennedy Duncan of Lawrence, who had inaugurated an industrial fellowship plan at the University of Kansas in January, 1907. Dr. Weidlein, who is a native Kansan, has been director of the Mellon Institute since 1921. Other features in the Transactions of interest to historians are: "Kansas Weather: 1945," by S. D. Flora of Topeka, and "The Contribution of Kansas to American Men of Science," by H. E. Zabel of New York City.